18 inch Sundown Z.V3 overpowered vs Sound Solutions Zcon 18inch

Fearz
10+ year member

Now this has been a on going problem for me. I was set on the Z's, but realized the Zcons were cheaper plus the new 10% store credit thing that is going on. Recently though I realized the Z's come with high rolled surrounds and I think that is super Nice. I like Low music so also and my setup will have 2 18's

My main questions are is the Sundown Z's louder in a daily application off of 2 cresendo 2ks and soon 1 cresendo 5k? By louder I mean will there be a noticeable difference not just on the meter?

So the 2 18's will be going in a 2009 Tahoe.

The only reason this is being brought up is because a friend won't get out of my ear about the sundown Z and how it 90% preformance of the nightshade and ect. So I decided to post this topic on a form other than SSA because my friend thinks SSA is biased.

Last edited by a moderator:
this is really going to depend on the efficiency of your enclosure... if you build a really well designed enclosure for both, there wouldnt be any noticeable difference... but, you may see 1 or 2 db's difference

I know. I just wanted to post it here because a friend is in my ear telling me Sundown this and Sundown that and so and so did this number at 36hz and blah blah blah. I told him I want a daily driver that is good on music. All I want is a 148 om music anyway.

if your going for just a daily ground pounder, you will not notice any difference... only time it would matter, is if you were trying to squeeze that last 1/2 db out on the TL

Yeah I'm not competing or anything. I'll probably just get the setup metered once to see if it gets the numbers I want 148 music. 150 burp. Then I'll be happy, but I know if I get the Zcons I'll hear "you would have been louder with the Z's." lol

Also Mast240 that gif is amazing.lol

For what it's worth, we here at Team Sundown Russia have had lots of experience with the new Sundown Audio z v3's

I will tell you that we have a number of teammates doing 149-150+ on a single z18v3 in daily boxes tuned to mid 30s...powerwise, people are running about 3k to them, so your plan sound very solid and with a good box you should be over 150 no problem

I have not seen the z-cons as they are not available here, but the z18v3 have the awesome new high excursion spiders (the spider is larger in diameter and sit higher in the frame compared to most 18's that use the 6 spoke frame) which allows for massive throw and is great for them lows...The cone and surround is also a nice touch and the cooling is top notch

I personally have 4 z18v3's in a bandpass in my dodge ram - best subs i have ever owned!

88cea2c042716c65-large.jpg

88cea2c04b7ffe79-large.jpg

88cea2c055ae99c3-large.jpg

88cea2c081274375-main.jpg

88cea2c0acae358b-main.jpg

we also have this Ford Explorer with 4 z18v3's (these run NS cones since they are early pre-production versions) and two SAZ4500's

Get which ever you want. Don't worry about what your friend thinks. 2 18s on 4-5k is going to be loud as long as you have a proper box and install. Get the Zcons and maybe you can shut him up with some numbers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I said the same thing. I really like that Surround on that Z though it is just a really good look to me. But I don't see it justifying me spending $30 more for the first sub and $60-70 more for the second sub. I know it's not a big difference, but if I lose the warranty because I am overpowering the Z's that would have a impact also. Plus if I did the numbers I want with the Zcons I would feel special because I haven't seen a lot of Zcons really going in daily ground pounders until here lately.

For what it's worth, we here at Team Sundown Russia have had lots of experience with the new Sundown Audio z v3's
I will tell you that we have a number of teammates doing 149-150+ on a single z18v3 in daily boxes tuned to mid 30s...powerwise, people are running about 3k to them, so your plan sound very solid and with a good box you should be over 150 no problem

I have not seen the z-cons as they are not available here, but the z18v3 have the awesome new high excursion spiders (the spider is larger in diameter and sit higher in the frame compared to most 18's that use the 6 spoke frame) which allows for massive throw and is great for them lows...The cone and surround is also a nice touch and the cooling is top notch

I personally have 4 z18v3's in a bandpass in my dodge ram - best subs i have ever owned!

88cea2c042716c65-large.jpg

88cea2c04b7ffe79-large.jpg

88cea2c055ae99c3-large.jpg

88cea2c081274375-main.jpg

88cea2c0acae358b-main.jpg

we also have this Ford Explorer with 4 z18v3's (these run NS cones since they are early pre-production versions) and two SAZ4500's

I followed that build and still remember that Shok Industries amp you were testing before the 15 NS-1's you went picked up. Nice Ram BTW my friend a few houses down has the same truck with the same rims, but his isn't as clean as yours.

I e-mailed Sundown to ask about warranty if I do run them at 2k each. I would think warranty would be non existent, but I need a warranty just incase because I'm on a budget and if something goes wrong (it shouldn't) I don't want Jacob saying I overpowered them.

I followed that build and still remember that Shok Industries amp you were testing before the 15 NS-1's you went picked up. Nice Ram BTW my friend a few houses down has the same truck with the same rims, but his isn't as clean as yours.
I e-mailed Sundown to ask about warranty if I do run them at 2k each. I would think warranty would be non existent, but I need a warranty just incase because I'm on a budget and if something goes wrong (it shouldn't) I don't want Jacob saying I overpowered them.

haha, Thanks man!

Like I said, I don't have any experience with any of the SSA Audio subs, but with Sundown as you probably know the rms rating is very underrated.... not sure how it works out with warranty if you blow it, but ask anyone - Sundown will take care of you. That being said, with the amps you have/will have you will be fine as long as you don't go buck-wild with clipping or playing the subs way below tuning for extended periods of time.

Nobodies warranty will cover a smoked coil -- which you simply aren't going to do on a Z v.3 anywhere near rated power. Warranty is to cover defects in materials and workmanship -- which outside of obvious abuse most manufacturers will cover or at least work with you even at higher power levels (obviously not if you have 5k on a 1.5k woofer or something crazy).

And yes -- the Z v.3 is about 90% as good as an NS v.2 -- which is why we went ahead to progress to the NS v.3

Nobodies warranty will cover a smoked coil -- which you simply aren't going to do on a Z v.3 anywhere near rated power. Warranty is to cover defects in materials and workmanship -- which outside of obvious abuse most manufacturers will cover or at least work with you even at higher power levels (obviously not if you have 5k on a 1.5k woofer or something crazy).
And yes -- the Z v.3 is about 90% as good as an NS v.2 -- which is why we went ahead to progress to the NS v.3
atomic will, but thats besides the point ha ha. just fuckin wit ya bro

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.