16 Gauge speaker wire too small for 2000w amp?

WHITEWIDOoW

I have just upgraded to a Pioneer 2400w mono block and I have a single 12' Pioneer Champion. The sub is wired with 16 gauge speaker wire at 2ohm. Is it dangerous to to have such skinny speaker wire with 2000w?

Side notes:

-Amp Power/Ground 1/0 gauge

-speaker wire does not exceed 4ft from amp

Most people ( including myself) run 12gauge or higher. 12 gauge is pretty much the minimum that i would run with that much power. Someone may be able to correct me if i am wrong.

Bigger would be better, but it will work for that amp and ohm load.
Yep, smaller will always work, but the smaller the wire gage the more power will be lost in the wire. That's why larger wires are better. Drops the resistive loss.

John Kuthe...

Thats an idea, do you have to srip it, twist it, and tape it together?
You don't have to, but it's a good idea. Just run a second pair alongside the first and connect them in the same spots. Tape them together an inch or so from the terminals so any movement they'll do together. You can use any tape, but I prefer electrical. Better yet, use shrink wrap tubing. For either tape or tubing I recommend using black for positive and maybe red or white for negative. It just makes they easier to identify.

Hi..i am a new user here.As per my knowledge you shoud run a second pair alongside the first and connect them in the same spots. Tape them together an inch or so from the terminals so any movement they'll do together. You can use any tape, but I prefer electrical. Better yet, use shrink wrap tubing. For either tape or tubing I recommend using black for positive and maybe red or white for negative.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.