$1500 Front stage

All those companies have good offerings in that range. I'd stay away from CDT, I've wasn't impressed with their higher end stuff. I've never heard the higher end rainbow gear, but I've been told it's nice. I enjoyed the JL ZR's I heard, those are the only ones I can really comment on. Tweeter was nice, much better than the xr's tweeter, I actually preferred the VR tweeter to the X, so I was glad the ZR's were an upgrade.

Are you having someone install this for you. I don't know the details of your system, but I will say you should definetly invest in sound deading, as well as custom speaker locations, preferrably kickpanels. If you don't do that your really wasting alot of the excellence of the higher end speakers.

Whenever you start getting into that price range the install becomes a major factor...not saying it doesn't on cheaper stuff but yeah. I don't know much about stuff in that price range really b/c well I don't have that kind of money for stuff but I'll start with some questions.

What kind of amp are you going to run these comps with?

Where do you plan on putting the speakers?

Are you wanting to stay passive or are you wanting to run active?

What vehicle will these be going in?

I would definetly say either Focal or Rainbow of the two. Im not biased towards either one because I have run speakers from both companies and loved both equally as much. Like someone else mentioned above, install is what is going to make these systems really shine, if your not install/tuning savy, you may want to stick with a component set in the 300-600.00 range. This will almost always sound just as good as a improperly setup high-end set of components.

So with that said, lets get into what you like. What type of music do you listen to most frequent? Do you know what type of sound you are looking for? Great kickbass, smooth mids, mellow high?

How many watts are running? What kind of amp do you have?

I obviously am some what biased to Focal (I can't figure out why though). I have had some of Rainbow's product but it was a while ago and one of their mid lines for a kick bass and it was a bit tinny in sound. They of course have changed up their lines since then. I know Focal has good sounding speakers and amps. I would try and pair up a set of their speakers with either their 4.75 or 2.75 or 2.150 depending on your need. I always try and pair speakers and amps because USUALLY they make their amps to work best with their speakers. It's not always true, but they know the limitations of their product and work with it. I know Tweeter carries the speakers and I think their amps now, but you would have to check. I don't know any stores that carry Rainbow. For 1500 you should be able to get a set of K2's and an amp i believe.

Time to respond to all your questions. If I miss any please let me know.

First, It will be in a 2001 Cavalier (2 door). The instal i am going for is 6.5" in the door. The 4" or 3" in a kick pannel or my my feet in the center console. the tweeters will be on the frame around the door or on m dash. I will not be doing the install. I know a bit about speakers and amps but can in now way even attempt to install these myself.

About the active or passive, I dont know what the difference is. Please explain it to me.

Now for the kind of music I listen to and what I want in the speakers.

I listen to alot of metal (symphonic metal) and rock. Most of my music has female singers as the lead. I want a tweeter that can be loud, clear, and not scratchy. The midbass I need to be able to kick pretty well and very accurate.

Also, the cost of the install is NOT included in this 1500. I plan on ordering. Letting them sit until i get enough, and then having them installed. When I do something like this, I like to do it right, even if it takes a bit longer.

I will show you a few sets of components I looked at now.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1163

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3339

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1190

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1082

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2828

Asu can see i definately need to narrow my search.

Last thing is I was talking to a friend of mine who has done his own system. He suggested that for that kind of money i migh want to build the component system from scratch. How hard would this be to do?

DLS also sells a couple 3way sets. They have a smaller mid than most(which is more install friendly imo), but I haven't heard any reviews and mobilesq.com is the only one I know of who sells them legit.

not to hate on premier audio but pm 6spdcoupe (i see you don, lol) and he'll probably get you a great price //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif. or just pm him in general on each set has to offer.

The difference between the profi and the profi vanadium are that the Vanadium is made with an aluminum cone. The aluminum cone has a bit brighter, more detailed sound where as the paper cone is a smoother less detailed, could be described as warmer sounding. The Kick versions are exactly what they are called, they have more Kickbass than the previos, due to being a high QTS driver.

As far as active or passive it is up to you. You can go active and spend less more, or as much and come out ahead or behind depending upon your tuning skills. Basically you have your speakers, without the crossover, and us and EQ and crossover to allocate frequencies to certain drivers. Most experts choose this way as they are able to tune very well to their liking. Most everyone else still choose's the regular (passive) way by buying a component set.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.