15" Subwoofer help!!

Xellvar

Okay, so I've previously bought a SQ SDC2.5 D4 15" And it caught on fire in a terrible box I had (I broke into tears upon the side of the road) It was the night before I got my new big box...

I got a custom made box, 4FT^3 @ 32Hz. Pretty massive, really tasty compared to what I previously had. Although, I now have it taking up my entire closet as I no longer have a 15". And have been borrowing 2 12"s from a friend, point is...I really want another SDC2.5...But I discovered they're discontinued. So, now I do not know what to choose...I still have the basket and magnet...Would it be easy to buy a recone kit and do that? Or buy a new one...I have a max budget of 120$ I basically want to be the cool kid within my small town...So far the best subs here are 2 SA 8's and those hit clean and hard, but I know I can beat that by a nice 15" So...Any idea's guys?

I have it powered by a Belva BB2000D, 1-Ohm stable..Although I haven't been the luckiest with this amp. It has burned up 3 different subs, so I'd like to run it at 2-ohms. (Box is ported BTW)

On a budget of $120, you probably will not find anything that will totally blow your mind but you can get a good quality sub that won't blow at rated RMS. Are you going for SQ or SPL? That Belva is putting out around 900W RMS@2ohm and 1200RMS @1ohm. So if you want a 2 ohm load, you will need a 4ohm DVC sub, 600-800 RMS. I would recommend this one.

PowerBass 2XL 154D 2yr Wrnty 15" 1200W Dual 4 Ohm Car Audio Stereo Sub Woofer | eBay

They do way over rated power and that Belva probably isn't pushing all 900w, unless you have some serious electrical upgrades. Remember, that power is @14.4v, which you most likely are not achieving on a stock battery/alt.

Jeffdachef is also right on the clipping. Clipping is when your gain is turned up too high, bass boost is on or you have the bass/loud turned up too far on the head unit. Rule of thumb is, set your gain just below the head units preamp voltage. So if your head units preamps are 2v, set your gain to around 1.75v. This is just a basic starting point, as the only way to be 100% sure you are not clipping is to test your input signal with a DD-1, if your bass knob does not have a clip light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, a little better than the PowerBass I imagine, especially when it comes to SQ. Just make sure you set your gains correctly and it should sound nice, without blowing. Just read a few threads on clipping, you will get the picture.

So what about... American Bass TNT1544? Are these any good?
I'd personally get a custom recone for the sdc 2.5. I had my 12 reconed by SPLaudio and it was much better than the stock configuration. Talk to splaudio, psi, or maybe tantric for recones.

Crazy how you burnt 3 woofers...if you smell something when pounding , turn it down and chances are gain is high, bass dial is cranked up too high etc etc. The smell shouldve been your first red flag. Also, tune your amp with a DMM which is a good reference point. Do you know how to do this?

Okay, so I've previously bought a SQ SDC2.5 D4 15" And it caught on fire in a terrible box I had (I broke into tears upon the side of the road) It was the night before I got my new big box...
I got a custom made box, 4FT^3 @ 32Hz. Pretty massive, really tasty compared to what I previously had. Although, I now have it taking up my entire closet as I no longer have a 15". And have been borrowing 2 12"s from a friend, point is...I really want another SDC2.5...But I discovered they're discontinued. So, now I do not know what to choose...I still have the basket and magnet...Would it be easy to buy a recone kit and do that? Or buy a new one...I have a max budget of 120$ I basically want to be the cool kid within my small town...So far the best subs here are 2 SA 8's and those hit clean and hard, but I know I can beat that by a nice 15" So...Any idea's guys?
if you were closer i would sell you my pair of SDC2.5 15s, i think i got 2 of the last 5 they had when i ordered mine. i think thats what they said. id seel you both for $200 but im not messing with shipping

Crazy how you burnt 3 woofers...if you smell something when pounding , turn it down and chances are gain is high, bass dial is cranked up too high etc etc. The smell shouldve been your first red flag. Also, tune your amp with a DMM which is a good reference point. Do you know how to do this?
mine begin to smell alittle at times(maybe me playing to low) but idk if its litterally smelling or just the glue getting warm and breaking in. because mine are not broke in yet

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.