15" Re SX in a 4-door Honda Accord

SPLmatic
10+ year member

word
Looking for some box ideas from those of you that know more about them than I do. I'm running a Resonant Engineering SX 15" in my Accord on ~1300 rms in a temporary box. I'm curious as to how I can get this setup to sound the clearest and loudest. Although the SX isn't the greatest sub for it, I'm trying to gear this more towards SPL. Right now the sub is facing up and the port is facing the cabin.. just experimenting at this point.

I have quite a bit of trunk space, I was able to fit an Fi BL 18" in there in a 6 cuft. box.. and I was also able to get them out of there. Not exactly sure the dimensions of the box in there right now, but you can use your imagination dimension-wise if you have the kindness to come up with a design for me. I'm thinking I want the sub and the port on the same side, facing the back of the car. Or should I point them towards the cabin? Seats fold down.

Thinking about the tuning being around 35hz. I also plan on putting a couple layers of deadener in my trunk to improve the sq a bit.

any ideas, input, advice?

point it towards the back, port towards the back aswell, L port box. is probubly the best... i have the srx 12 in my truck. pointing the back of the cab, and i have tryed with a type r 15, in a prelude, towards the back with the L port will give u clean and Hard Hard Hard hitting bass!

i know the 6th gen is a little different but my 5th accord was loudest sub back port driver or sub forward port passenger without sealing off. you can build it and just flip it to try and see if there's a different if you wanted.

Sub Back, Port Back. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Almost all trunk cars sound best with this configuration IMO.

Now the only question left is what tuning you'll go with when I build your next box. I'm personally recommending 28-30 hz.

The best solution for your application is to build a bandpass. These are usually not sell received by most customers due to ?????(not really sure why), but a bandpass allows you to focus your sound(thru a ski port, back deck,etc). There is no lost energy in your trunk, it is all in your cab. If built properly it is very musical with a Db gain similar to a ported box. If built wrong, it sounds like **** and everyone thinks they ****. I have done 2 of these in a bandpass before and it was rediculous. One other cool thing about a bandpass is it cleans up the funny sounds that most loud woofers make and actually makes the woofer more efficient based on design so a woofer that requires 1000 watts can perform almost the same with 500-600 watts in most applications. A good real life example of this is I took a CTS-V that had 2 solobaric 12" woofers in a ported box. It metered 145.8 with a 1000 watt amp. I built a bandpass that unloaded thru the "ski port" and it metered 148.5 with the same power. A drammatic improvement. Hope this helps!

The best solution for your application is to build a bandpass. These are usually not sell received by most customers due to ?????(not really sure why), but a bandpass allows you to focus your sound(thru a ski port, back deck,etc). There is no lost energy in your trunk, it is all in your cab. If built properly it is very musical with a Db gain similar to a ported box. If built wrong, it sounds like **** and everyone thinks they ****. I have done 2 of these in a bandpass before and it was rediculous. One other cool thing about a bandpass is it cleans up the funny sounds that most loud woofers make and actually makes the woofer more efficient based on design so a woofer that requires 1000 watts can perform almost the same with 500-600 watts in most applications. A good real life example of this is I took a CTS-V that had 2 solobaric 12" woofers in a ported box. It metered 145.8 with a 1000 watt amp. I built a bandpass that unloaded thru the "ski port" and it metered 148.5 with the same power. A drammatic improvement. Hope this helps!
Dude... /yourself.

Funny sounds? Only thing funny is the nonsense coming from your post.

Bandpass may be louder but the average daily driver doesn't need a setup like this.

Dude... /yourself.
Funny sounds? Only thing funny is the nonsense coming from your post.

Bandpass may be louder but the average daily driver doesn't need a setup like this.
You must be referring to yourself in that you dont think you need it, but its nice to offer the best option for what he is trying to do. As far as "funny sounds", i was reffering to the not so great noise you hear from a sub under high excursion. In a bandpass you cant hear that. Most people don't even notice it, but it is there. If he had a vehicle with a hatch or cargo area I would not have even mentioned it since it would not help a whole lot, but for a trunk it is the first option i offer everyone. BTW if your going to attempt to bash me about my post being nonsense, its best not to agree with my post in the next sentance....

op, did you not like the BL 18 you had in there..??
i would pick a BL over an sx....
I had it for a year and wanted something new. I would have kept it if I could have thrown maybe 2000 rms on it, but my electrical can't keep up with that at the moment. Plus there was just no room for that sub to breathe, took up my entire trunk. Too much rattle. The SX definitely sounds better and louder, just because there's more room in my trunk.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.