12w6 vs 13w6

uh first off...
12w6...version 1 or 2?

13w6? you mean the 13w6v2? or the w7?
dubya6 version 1 was discontinued.... they didn't make a 13w6v1 either and i don't know why u'd buy a version 1 anyway.... even used value on em tends to be a little high when they are actually more comparable to this years W3v3's than the w6v2's... i dooo really wish they kept the 18w6 when moving to the v2... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crying.gif.ec0ebefe590df0251476573bc49e46d8.gif

I don't deal any JL products nor will I ever deal any JL products, but from what I know about them the only real difference between the 12w6 and 13w6 is new year, new product... in a nut shell they didn't want to sell the same product the following year, besides that maybe a few other differences (ie; power handling, box parameters, sens ration, etc).
well u shouldn't deal with jl audio if you think there is no difference between a 12w6 and a 13w6 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

u can push a 13w6 to 1000 watts comforatably** with good x-overs, but a 12w6 struggles with 750... not to mention not only does the 13 have about 15% percent more surface area but also it has an excursion capability of .4" more than the 12 so when you figure that the excursion of a 12 is 1.3 inches the 13 moves almost twice the air that the 12 does... the 13 is well more bang for your buck, particularly in the w6v2 series

pardon my spelling

edit: not comforatably but without a problem drop it about 150 er 200 to get ur comfort zone

Actually, out of curiosity, what boxes are yall running for SQL. MDF is not too hard to come by here so we can build quite a few to see what we like.
if i was you i would run a JL spec sealed box you can't get much better sql than that... the ported box will tip it more to an spl installation but if you want that then go for it...but you'll never get more accurate bass reproduction with a ported then a properly built and tuned sealed it's just a fact... plus by putting it in a sealed you can run more power to it and still be safe not compromising db's but about 4db... and if you're not gunna go spl with it i think that 3-5 db is worth the sacrafice for the better quality... but i won't lie they sound great even in the ported

if i was you i would run a JL spec sealed box you can't get much better sql than that... the ported box will tip it more to an spl installation but if you want that then go for it...but you'll never get more accurate bass reproduction with a ported then a properly built and tuned sealed it's just a fact... plus by putting it in a sealed you can run more power to it and still be safe not compromising db's but about 4db... and if you're not gunna go spl with it i think that 3-5 db is worth the sacrafice for the better quality... but i won't lie they sound great even in the ported
How they sound ported is going to depend entrirely on the enclosure. Put them in a peaky box tuned too high and yes they will not sound their best but they will get loud. Put them in a properly aligned ported box and they should sound no different than in the selaed box except louder from the Ftc of the sealed setup to the F3 of the ported one. The problem with the JL spec box is that it is tuned too high and has a 3.5 dB peak around 50Hz. Makes for loud, but also way over emphasizes the upper bass range. Power handling isn't an issue with either box until you get into the low 20's freq wise. With music, not an issue at all.

Put that sub in a bigger lower tuned box and it will flat walk all over the sealed box in output in the sub bass range and should be fairly indistiguishable SQ wise. We are talking a 5 cf box though.

How they sound ported is going to depend entrirely on the enclosure. Put them in a peaky box tuned too high and yes they will not sound their best but they will get loud. Put them in a properly aligned ported box and they should sound no different than in the selaed box except louder from the Ftc of the sealed setup to the F3 of the ported one. The problem with the JL spec box is that it is tuned too high and has a 3.5 dB peak around 50Hz. Makes for loud, but also way over emphasizes the upper bass range. Power handling isn't an issue with either box until you get into the low 20's freq wise. With music, not an issue at all.
Put that sub in a bigger lower tuned box and it will flat walk all over the sealed box in output in the sub bass range and should be fairly indistiguishable SQ wise. We are talking a 5 cf box though.
shure if you have the room, even the spec ported encloser is purty big

Personal opinion.
I happen to think the opposite //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
actually i'm x2'ing this... the w7 is extremely tight problem is i hate to listen to it... it hurts your ears because of the rapid change in air pressure it causes the w6 has a much much smoother transition into a high volume and i've found that some of the LOUDEST jl installations i've seen are actually made with w6's not w7's.... i think the w7 was ment to be only 1 sub in the car

Personal opinion.
I happen to think the opposite //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
actually i'm x2'ing this... the w7 is extremely tight... problem is i hate to listen to it... it hurts your ears because of the rapid change in air pressure it causes the w6 has a much much smoother transition into a high volume and i've found that some of the LOUDEST jl installations i've seen are actually made with w6's not w7's.... i think the w7 was ment to be only 1 sub in the car

Some of the false info in this thread....the 13w6v2 limited production? the "new year" model of the 12w6v2, being the same?Might want to know what is actually going on before you give advice on which sub;)

To me, getting 13w6's wasdeff worth $90 more each. The get louder, sound just as good, and take more power. hell yes:yumyum:

... it hurts your ears because of the rapid change in air pressure it causes the w6 has a much much smoother transition into a high volume

.... i think the w7 was ment to be only 1 sub in the car
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
That doesn't make sense to me.

Rapid change in air pressure? Lat time I checked, a loud subs job is to move a lot of air, which = more sound pressure, and "changes in the air pressure will all depend to the SPL the sub is played at, and what freq. it changes to, which all depends on the box it's in. With the right box, I don't understand why the hell the spl would be a "rougher" transition when I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get that with a smooth sealed/ported box.

And wtf, the W7 made to be only 1 in a car? No way dude, no way. Same as any other sub, the only diff with 2 would be it gets louder.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif

Some of the false info in this thread....the 13w6v2 limited production? the "new year" model of the 12w6v2, being the same?Might want to know what is actually going on before you give advice on which sub;) To me, getting 13w6's wasdeff worth $90 more each. The get louder, sound just as good, and take more power. hell yes:yumyum:
how can you upgrade the same sub with nothing but a 15% increase in cone size... that would give you less output
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
That doesn't make sense to me.

Rapid change in air pressure? Lat time I checked, a loud subs job is to move a lot of air, which = more sound pressure, and "changes in the air pressure will all depend to the SPL the sub is played at, and what freq. it changes to, which all depends on the box it's in. With the right box, I don't understand why the hell the spl would be a "rougher" transition when I'm pretty sure you wouldn't get that with a smooth sealed/ported box.

And wtf, the W7 made to be only 1 in a car? No way dude, no way. Same as any other sub, the only diff with 2 would be it gets louder.....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
woe chill out... i only ment that the w7 is extremely loud and more than 1 w7 is probly more than you'd want to listen to every day except for the 8's and 10's... spl applications are a completely different story, i guess if you have some highs and mids that can mimick a jet engine... yeah fill ur car with w7's... hope you don't like ur ability to hear... and yeah the w7 was designed to keep up with most other 2 sub setups with just 1 sub... why do you think all jl boxes approved for the w7 are singles? how can you upgrade the same sub with nothing but a 15% increase in cone size... that would give you less output

... and yeah the w7 was designed to keep up with most other 2 sub setups with just 1 sub... why do you think all jl boxes approved for the w7 are singles?
The Jl wasn't "designed" to ouperform 2 sub setups, it was ment to get louder then any other sub they make, since it's their flagship, along with every other company that makes a top of the line sub that will outperform 2 of its little brothers. I don't know what you mean by jl "approved" boxes, u mean the HO and prowedge boxes? Because fitting a box for 2 W7's in a normal persons trunk is impractical, they need a lot of space to breathe. A box for 2 13w7's would be 4.5 cu.ft+ most trunkcs don't allow for it.
how can you upgrade the same sub with nothing but a 15% increase in cone size... that would give you less output
I don't want to be mean....but seriously, think logically.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif A cone that's bigger, moving at the same rate, traveling the same distance, is going to have more air moving because of a greater area displacing the air.....so it will be LOUDER. Why do you think there are 10s, 12s, 15s, and 18s of most sub lines? a lot of them use the same motor structures and have the same power handling, but because of having so much more cone area can get much louder;)

The W7 was designed as a low distortion SQ driver. That the same attributes that gave it the extremely low distortion output also allowed for a huge amount of swept volume and the potential for a lot of output was a nice side benefit.

BTW, increasing cone area (and per the Sd spec it is closer to a 25% increase between the 12 and the 13) without making any other changes to the motor will still increase output. More piston area makes for more potential output. Also at a given SPL the larger sub will have lower distortion because it is closer to the center of the Bl curve because it doesn't have to move as far to produce the same outout as the smaller driver.

Final thing, the JL spec box for the 13W6v2 is actually pretty small for a ported box for a sub of that size. Smaller than the box I had my XXX 12 in.

The Jl wasn't "designed" to ouperform 2 sub setups, it was ment to get louder then any other sub they make, since it's their flagship, along with every other company that makes a top of the line sub that will outperform 2 of its little brothers. I don't know what you mean by jl "approved" boxes, u mean the HO and prowedge boxes? Because fitting a box for 2 W7's in a normal persons trunk is impractical, they need a lot of space to breathe. A box for 2 13w7's would be 4.5 cu.ft+ most trunkcs don't allow for it.
hmmm... well if the company that manufactures the sub doesn't design a box for 2 subs... and if you had a box for 2 subs its impracticaly huge... and if it's louder by itself than most 2 sub setups... and it was designed for SQ with volume as a side benefit... and it has the capabillity of destroying your hearing... kinda sounds like it was designed to be a single sub layout... meaning people that have more than one (actually more than 2) of them are takeing advantage of their capabilities for spl, creating a setup that no one in their right mind would be comforatable listening to every day

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

RandyJ

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
RandyJ
USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date