12v Battery Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

bunkerking09
10+ year member

Current Status: Win
So the organization i'm competing in next year only allow batteries of the 12v variety. So I have a couple of questions...

1. Should I stick with Optima Yellowtops? They're fairly cheap and I think a bank of those would be fairly easy to get.

2. How do I achieve the highest voltage possible? How do I maintain it? I'm thinking it can be like 15.5 volts max, but I could be wrong.

Any other suggestions for a 12v setup are greatly appreciated.

Group 31 sized I would say you would be A-ok...I would look into the rules of the org you are running in. If they allow you to run with the engine on you can change alts to one with an external adjustable voltage regulator or look into an MLA harness. If you run engine off you can train a 12v battery to rest at a slightly higher voltage but more than likely you will be shortening its lifespan

Group 31 sized I would say you would be A-ok...I would look into the rules of the org you are running in. If they allow you to run with the engine on you can change alts to one with an external adjustable voltage regulator or look into an MLA harness. If you run engine off you can train a 12v battery to rest at a slightly higher voltage but more than likely you will be shortening its lifespan
Yea you can run with car on. So I will probably look into an external regulator this summer. Until then, its 14v all the way!!!

I would stay under 15v unless you know someone or have the alt manufacturer suggest what to do specifically..some cars electronics will go poof if you dail it up too high which is why i suggested the MLA harness..a lot of guys like running them with DC power alts.

If you go to smd designs site, Mla has a section there where he explains the module and people give reviews of it.

And I think they are pretty affordable.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bunkerking09

10+ year member
Current Status: Win
bunkerking09
Kansas City, MO
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date