12inch type R that needs help.

jrmax
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
oklahoma
I just hooked up my type r 12 and a crunch 500 watt amp and i sent 250 watts to my sub and it doesnt hit like i thought the 12 would I have another twelve to add to it when it comes in but it just doesnt hit. Is it the amp or what I used 8gauge wire and 18 gauge speaker wire with a 1cubic foot box but **** it is in in a firebird to help me with any explanation or even a ? I can answer to help you help me.

ok plain simple answers thanks no a plain simple ?

what can i do to make my amp put out more to both subs

what kind of amp would be a GOOD and CHEAP replacement (I no the jbl 1200.1) if you second that say I but other amps suggestions would be helpful.

What do other think of the type R's should they be knocking hard or what.

I just hooked up one 12" Type-R DVC in the trunk of my civic. I power it with a Rockford Punch 360.2 that I bought on sale for $250. The amp is rated at around 500 watts if i remember correctly. I also run it at 2 ohms since my sub is DVC (I know you aren't really supposed to do that but the amp is backed by a four year service plan... if it blows, I get the new 400s.... guess what i'll be doing in about 3.5 years?? hehe). I have to first say that it is the only sub I have ever had and I did a lot of research and price/quality comparisons (largely out of this forum) before I bought it. On that note, it pounds hard as hell. When I'm in the driver's seat, you can't hear anything when I turn it all the way up... I mean, you can't hear anything but the sub. It hits nice and tight for rock music and goes deep for rap/techno stuff. I have no complaints whatsoever... especially for only one 12". I have heard many subs that sound way louder... but they also don't sound as good quality-wise and were much much more expensive (you gotta shop around man). I have also heard some different 12" subs. My friend just bought a Xplod 12" for about the same price... it doesn't even compare to mine.... i could barely hear it. The MTX I heard sounded good, but not as good as the Alpine.

So I guess the answer to your question is, get a new amp. The sub should pound hard. I have 8 guage wiring and normal speaker wire... i guess.

I would get a new amp for sure, as well as run some 4awg for it. For my subs, I'm using 8awg. I'd suggest you use something larger than 18 for yours. Check your box for leaks etc. It is probably a combination of several factors, instead of just one or two. The biggest, though, is definately the amp.

I think its that ratio thing. If you buy a high level sub, dont short change your amp. Amp is the most crucial part of the stereo. Crunch 1400 watt amp for like $125 over 10 watts per dollar? I dont think so, real world power of crunch amp 500-700 watts of dirty nasty unclean power.

The amp is not the major problem. I'm gonna agree with Mark_ab, you need to go with 12 gauge speaker wire. Your 8 gauge from the battery to the amp is alright, 4 gauge wouldn't hurt, but you can get away with 8. If your sending 250 wRMS you should be fine. It doesn't take as much power as you think to get a nice little bump. But that 18 gauge wire is definitely cutting the power supply.

for a 500 watt amp, 8 gauge is fine. the 18 gauge is not recommended, but even if u went to 0 gauge speaker wire u wouldnt notice a difference. the problem is not the gauge wire ur using, its the amp.

How can you all say it's the amp, I have run road gear amps, and had a system sounding pretty good. Unless your amp is screwed up, another words not putting out barely anything, then I don't believe it's your amp. Like I said for a while I was running a roadgear 250x1 to 2-12 bazookas, and they were hitting pretty good. I even had it bridged down to 1-ohm. Like I said before, it doesn't take as much power as you think to get decent sound out of your subs.

how can you say it's not the amp, type r's pound like hell, it's like buying pyramid and wondering why it *****! you need real power!!!

bull ****, if you put a road gear amp to 1 ohm it would start a fire, a type r needs 300 watts rms to even move, trust me. At the shop where i work we tried to see wht a jl 250/1 would do to my type r 15 and it hardly moved it. So take it from me he needs a new amp phatillusion.

Dude how in the world do you think that a Jl 250/1 would'nt even move it? Its one of the most powerful 250 watt rms amps I have seen and i have a friend that has his hooked up to one alpine type s 10 and it hits very nice so there is a way it will move as for it being the amp it most liklely is becasue that 250rms is really around 150 or 175 becasue of the over rating on the amp. And dude i would like to know how you got an road gear amp into 1 ohm when they are not even 2 ohm stable Dude that would be smokin if you did.LOL. Yea but he is right on one part it might be your box check and see if you have it air tight see if you amp gain is up on the higher part bridge the amp into 2 ohms and mess around with your Head unit aka cdplayer and amp to tune it to sound good.

Originally posted by taylor bull ****, if you put a road gear amp to 1 ohm it would start a fire, a type r needs 300 watts rms to even move, trust me. At the shop where i work we tried to see wht a jl 250/1 would do to my type r 15 and it hardly moved it. So take it from me he needs a new amp phatillusion.

You must have been doing something wrong if that JL monoblock didn't move the Type R. Although it's not near it's RMS handling, 250 of clean power would most definately move any mid-grade sub.

It will actully put out more than 250 easily its a Jl product and is underated. Also forgot to add that I think that amp would be ok but would get a bigger one maybe a cruch 1000 and they are ok amps I havent seen anything bad they were a big company a few years back just lost popularity.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.