12" Subwoofer for a 1990 Corvette

Participant count
  • Participant list

I'mPoor:(

SoundQubed Is Life.
So, I have a 1990 Corvette and the space is very limited.

I recently had a Kenwood KDC-X798 head unit (22W RMS) installed and JBL GTO 528: 5 1/4 in the front and JBL GTO 938: 6x9's in the back. Both with custom boxes.

So the 90 vette is not a monster for its space. Basically I did the measurements and for build quality I will be going with this generic sealed box Sealed 12" Box

Are the subs on these sites better then the mainstream ones we all hear about? the 130-150$ range

http://www.carstereogiant.com/

http://store.soundsolutionsaudio.com

I have looked at the sundown 12" E series which is reasonable on price I just don't know how it will compare to lets say the Rockford Fosgate P3 12". I hope you see where I am coming from. I just need good quality sub for the price range I am not too picky considering my box limitations etc. Thanks.

You could also get a refurbished SA 12 for $149. Just email Jacob. They have been professionally reconed at Sundown.

If you do get an SA 12, you should port your sealed box with an aeroport. Its really easy to do, and I could explain it if you're interested.

The SA-12 would be nice but I really want new and not returb, pet peave of mine. Are the American Bass and Powerbass subs I have listed comparable to the SA-12 because they are at the upper end of my price range.

None of the subwoofers you listed are really going to preform very well in a small sealed prefab enclosure with the exception of maybe the Powerbass 2xl, subwoofers are not one size fits all, some will work better for your application than others you can get a single JBL GTO1214d well within that price range as well as many others that would outperform all of the drivers you have listed in a .8ft3 sealed prefab

The sugg. of the 2 Sundown SD-2 8's would be great, but would be quite a bit out of your price range

From measuring the inside dementions on the one I bought it has 1.2cu feet. Which is within the range of all of.those

The inside dementions are roughly 13.25x13.25x13.25

From measuring the inside dementions on the one I bought it has 1.2cu feet. Which is within the range of all of.those
This doesn't take into account the driver's displacement, so you'll end up with a little under 1 cube when its all said and done (depending on what you go with. If you pack it full of polyfill, it'll probably sound decent with any of the subs listed. I know you said you don't want to go refurbished, so I'd go with the Soundqubed HDS312.

A local craft or fabric store should have it. Walmart has it too last time I checked. You can just use generic pillow stuffing. It makes your sub sound like its in a bigger box

I got my HDS312 in and with the small sealed box and like 400-600 RMS watts coming from my crappy amp. It performs phenomenal, sound quality not really good probs from box; Besides anything below like 35hz *****. Either from ****** amp or wayyyy to small box. I bought MDF 3/4 it's a 4x8 sheet. Going to make a sealed box. I calculated the size and the biggest I can do is 2.25CU Feet. I'm not experienced enough to make a ported box so I will settle for the sealed. What volume do I need for a sealed box I can find it no where.

I got my HDS312 in and with the small sealed box and like 400-600 RMS watts coming from my crappy amp. It performs phenomenal, sound quality not really good probs from box; Besides anything below like 35hz *****. Either from ****** amp or wayyyy to small box. I bought MDF 3/4 it's a 4x8 sheet. Going to make a sealed box. I calculated the size and the biggest I can do is 2.25CU Feet. I'm not experienced enough to make a ported box so I will settle for the sealed. What volume do I need for a sealed box I can find it no where.
*OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - SRT Forums - SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, SRT10 & Dodge Forum see if any of those can fit your car. Cut out sheet is right there, cut and glue thats all you needa do.

Soundqubed subs DO NOT like sealed enclosures, its not whether your sealed box is big enough, the subs just aren't not made to perform optimally in a sealed enclosure.

even with 2 gross cubic feet box, it should be 1.5 cubic foot net after port displacement is still good enough for the sub. Afterwards you need a good amount of power.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.