1 high rms 15 inch or 2 lower rms 15's. Recommendations and opinions....

Cm_low

I hear the discussion of one 15 vs 2 12s all the time but I wanted to ask the question of 1 better 15 vs 2 lower 15's, for this is the crossroads I'm at. To be more specific I have a audiopipe apcl-1500.1d amplifier, that according to the dyno's I've seen, rates around @1 ohm certified 1400 watts uncertified 1500 watts and dynamic about 1800 watts. I am pretty set on 15's so my question is whether I should go with 2 500-700 watt rms 15's or 1 single 1000-1200 watt rms 15, those being approximate rms ranges? The end results I am looking for are loud hard hitting bass that sounds good as well for music, so a good balance between spl and sq. The subs I am kind of looking at are american bass elite series, xfl's, xr for the single sub setup and american bass tnt, xd, xo, skar vvx, sundown e15 for the dual sub setup. Other info is that it is going into a 2012 chevy cruze with stock everything but will be doing big 3 upgrade soon, and agm battery upgrade plus possible second battery in the trunk. Custom enclosure will be built to specs of subs chosen. Thanks in advance for everyones input.

2 15's will outdo 1 15 9 times out of 10.

No replacement for displacement.

If space and money is no concern get 2 subs

If you have proper airspace for 2 15's then run 2 dont cheap out on the box though if your not confident in your box designs pay for a good one. its the most important part in getting loud and sounding good. Prefab boxes **** dont buy one.

Space is a concern for me depending on the subs I chose but if I am goin with the lower rms dual 15 setup the lower rms subs seems to require much less airspace and I should be able to fit a decent box in the trunk fairly easily. I think the trunk in full is 15 cu.ft. and most subs I've seen in that range are 2.5-3.5 cu ft ideally each. Currently I have a dual 2.5 cu ft chamber sealed box in the trunk and it only takes up about half the trunk.

I have never done a ported box though so off the top of my head without drawing it all out I am unsure how much extra room will be used for the ported area.

Dont buy the subs yet but pick a set have a box designed for them make the outsides out of cardboard and see if you can get it into the trunk. If you can get it to fit make a real box and buy the subs. If not buy a single or 2 12's.

Thanks for the help and input everyone. I have decided after your suggestions and a bit of researching to go with the single 15 setup. I have a single american bass xfl 1522 being shipped and should arrive within next couple of days. Now I just gotta get a box designed and built asap.lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.