1.6 Ohm Load - Safe??

Participant count
  • Participant list
Ok here is my situation.

I have a 1200W Crunch 4-channel amp. I am power a total of 7 speakers with this amp, and it seems to be doing the job well. On the two front channels of the amp, I have the front speakers, front tweeters, and rear speakers. The front speakers (JBL GTO) are 4 ohm each, the tweeters (factory ford MACH) are 8 ohm each, and the rear speakers (JBL GTO) are 4 ohm each. If I wired these correctly, I should be getting a final impedance of 1.6 ohms on each channel through parallel.

The rear channels on the amp are bridged for a 4 ohm svc pioneer 12" sub, so there isn't an issue there.

My meter reads 2.3 ohms when I test for the final impedance, but on paper its 1.6 ohms.

I've never had any issues so far, but the amp hasn't been played loudly for long periods yet either.

What do you guys think? Should I buy a separate 2-channel amp for my front/rear speakers?

I'd say you're fine. And it's just a Crunch if you blow it anyways. But I would be comfortable running that regardless of the amp. Just as you learned, real world is difference than "on paper". If it reads 2.3, and your meter isn't terrible inaccurate, you should really be fine.

Thanks for your advice. Like you said, that Crunch amp didn't cost me much, i think around $90? But if it does blow, ill just buy a decent 4 channel, and a separate 2 channel for the remaining rear speakers.

...Are you paralleling tweeters with your midbass drivers on a single channel without a crossover? If this is the case it will eventually destroy those tweeters due to low frequencies on the tweeter.

There is a passive crossover installed inline with the tweeter. Its a factory Ford tweeter, so it came with the crossover already attached. High frequencies are going to the tweets, lows to the subs, and mids to the speakers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.