1 12" Alpine Type R vs. 1 12" JL Audio W3

lorideslo
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Will be powered by 500wrms amp. Either Memphis mc1.500 or the JL 500/1.

Also which is better suited with what kind of box. I listen to Jazz, r&b, gospel, and hiphop. Not going in any comp nor do I wanna break windows, I just want nice clean deep bass while hittin the lows very nicely.

Don't know how much truth is in this but I've read a couple of forums on the topic here and one guy said that the type r ported doesn't sound good with any other music besides hip hop

thanks in advance fellas.

they both **** ass. The alpine sounds like crap both ported or sealed. JL lower line stuff is junk also. If you want a great sounding JL sub go with the W6. As much as I hate JL that is one of the best sounding subs i've heard. Also you might want to consider some other companies like FI or sundown where you can see their passion for caraudio in their work.

Just set your gains correctly and I promise you wont blow either of your choices with 500W. I lent one of my buddies my sundown saz3000d amps and he beat the snot out of his type R for a good couple of months before it popped. And he was running 1600W and prob clipped the sh1t out of it when I turned my back. I beat on my sub with 3K daily and when I switched to 6K+ and was bass racing thats when it finally blew. you gotta be a little reckless to get a sub to break. that or build a crappy enclosure. Im the king of ill designed boxes thats why I work for the government.

Just set your gains correctly and I promise you wont blow either of your choices with 500W. I lent one of my buddies my sundown saz3000d amps and he beat the snot out of his type R for a good couple of months before it popped. And he was running 1600W and prob clipped the sh1t out of it when I turned my back. I beat on my sub with 3K daily and when I switched to 6K+ and was bass racing thats when it finally blew. you gotta be a little reckless to get a sub to break. that or build a crappy enclosure. Im the king of ill designed boxes thats why I work for the government.
Thanks man. Now I'm lookin at the W6 lol. Pricey but looks like it's worth it. Now I'll Start researchin that sub. Also been told by a group of people that JL subs sound best put in a JL box. Is this true? If so no need for a custom box to be built.

I would suggest an mb quart rwe 352 15". It only needs 1.5 cubes sealed will take 700 rms and will sound leaps and bounds better than a type r or a dub3. They are only 100 shipped also one of the best SQ deals out there and they have enough out put to keep most people happy.

I would consider a brand like Sundown or Fi. JL is overpriced. And honestly, I think you would be better off having a sealed box unless you mostly listen to rap.
+1

go with the Fi Q or the sundown SA over the options you threw out. They'll sound better and be a whole lot cheaper in the long run. Becuase I can promise you 500w will start getting quiet real quick. I thought 1200w was too much, now im up to 6K+ with 2 sundown saz300d strapped at 1 ohm and im lookin for more.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.