1/0 Wire Comparison

Participant count
  • Participant list

Relax
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MN
Hello Everyone,

Name's Relax- I've been on this forum for what seems like forever, mostly lurking, although been out of the game for the last couple years- content with my previous system.

Its time to upgrade though, thinking of going big.

With that known, I want to get some serious wire, but I need around 100 ft of 1/0 for myself and a good friends' systems.

I want to make an informed decision, and also help others in the future. I need to do a comparison of the different 1/0 wire thats available out there.

The biggest factor is obviously current carrying capacity, although resistance and price per foot matter a great deal also. I have at my disposal the ability to measure micro-ohms, and put upwards of 400 amps through a section of cable. I do not have any 1/0 though.

With this in mind, are there many people out there that would like to donate a foot of their favorite 1/0?

My plan is to measure exactly a foot of the various 1/0 wire types I can get a hold of, put 300 amps on them for 10-15 seconds and measure the temperature of the wire with an infrared laser thermometer. I will let the wire cool down, then also measure the resistance in micro-ohms of the wire. I'll post these informative quantitative measurements along with the price per foot for all to see, then send everyone their wire back.

I could also measure voltage drop across the pieces of wire with amps flowing through them, say find the current at which the voltage drops 5% or 10%.

We can then see some real life comparisons.

If anybody would like to help in this endeavor, or you would like to suggest more/better tests please respond to this thread. Once we get a legitimate number of different wire types and an agreed upon testing procedure, we'll perform the tests.

I would request people donate at least 1 foot of their 1/0 and pay to ship it to me. I will cover shipping back to the owners once the testing is completed. At least 1 foot, so when I cut them down to size they can all be exactly 1 foot.

If you'd like to tell me how dumb I am, or how stupid this idea is, please private message me. If you have legitimate concerns however, please reply to this thread.

Thanks everyone.

This might work lol

4/0 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable Boat Wire BLK 100': GIM-WUL4/0BK-C Genuinedealz

Really though, just get some stinger or knukonceptz 1/0 and do a couple runs. While the tests you wanna do would be some cool info, but for the cost of over-sized wire and what not, you might as well do multiple runs of known good wire. True 1/0 can carry what, 300-350 amps no problem? Pure copper is pure copper

Seems like theres no real interest, and looking at the KnuKonceptz their kits are a lot more reasonable then I thought. I think I'll just get a few of them.

Thanks anyways guys.

If anyone is interested in doing some sort of test later on- let me know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.