1/0 knu for 320 alt?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Eggroll

RingsOfSaturn>your music
If everything fits well and goes as planned, I should receive my dc power 320 alt on monday the 29th. If I already have 1/0 ofc knu fused going from + stock alt to + battery and same for - alt to - battery, and supposedly the average amps for 1/0 is 300, should I add a second run for + and - for the new alternator?

yes.

i would probably not fuse the second alt though.

oh, wait. are you using dual alts? one 1/0 OFC per alt +/- is all you need

the 1/0 is fine then, if you notice it getting hot then add another run but i highly doubt you'll need to. what is the fuse rating? you might want to just take it out, depending on your goals.

if you're like me and keen on being safe leave it in, if you're more worried about the loss in voltage then take it out.

the 1/0 is fine then, if you notice it getting hot then add another run but i highly doubt you'll need to. what is the fuse rating? you might want to just take it out, depending on your goals.
if you're like me and keen on being safe leave it in, if you're more worried about the loss in voltage then take it out.
I'm mostly referring to the cable if it will be able to withstand 320 amps if it gets to that kind of power. I have spare 4/0 welding if the 1/0 can't take it, but do I need to fuse 4/0?

yes it can take it. consider how short the run is, and consider the 300 amp rating conservative. an extra 20 amps, or even an extra 200 amps in a short burst wouldn't hurt that wire.

I'm mostly referring to the cable if it will be able to withstand 320 amps if it gets to that kind of power. I have spare 4/0 welding if the 1/0 can't take it, but do I need to fuse 4/0?
Knu's OFC 1/0 gauge is rated for 375A @ 20':

Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power /Ground Wire - Merchandise

One run should be plenty. Personally I'd fuse the connection from the alt to the battery as close to the battery as possible. It's a little more money and effort, but god forbid you get into an accident and it gets severed and shorted, blowing a 350A fuse is preferably to having your car burn to the ground.

Knu's OFC 1/0 gauge is rated for 375A @ 20':
Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Red Power /Ground Wire - Merchandise

One run should be plenty. Personally I'd fuse the connection from the alt to the battery as close to the battery as possible. It's a little more money and effort, but god forbid you get into an accident and it gets severed and shorted, blowing a 350A fuse is preferably to having your car burn to the ground.
Sweet thank you guys, and I already have a 350 amp fuse about 8" from the battery on the 1/0, was just wondering if all 320 amps if ever used would do harm to the wire, thank you!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Eggroll

RingsOfSaturn>your music
Eggroll
Death Metal > Your Music
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from