09 Cr-v need help, no clue about audio.

I am going to upgrade the audio in my car and i have a $1,100 budget but would prefer to be around the $900 range. i listen to mostly rock or metal, examples are deuce, iron maiden, hollywood undead, through the flood. feel free to post suggestions and also on installation would i have to get them installed or could i do it myself?

when music is your goal, invest more on the speakers and speaker amp than the sub and sub amp.

if bass drowning out music is your goal, do the opposite.

define "no clue"

do you own a digital multi-meter or have access to one?

do you have access to or own tools that include socket sets, screw drivers, hex key sets (also called allen wrenches), drills, etc?

do you have a garage or place to do the work, and are you patient enough to take time?

while "installing" an audio system seams easy, there is a lot to it and it requires time and tools.

is the vehicle bone stock right now?

can you be patient and build a complete system over time, investing in pieces?

my recommendation is to build the system in steps. buy good quality each time and the investment will last you a long time and be more rewarding.

a good head unit and good speakers is a nice start, maybe even an amp on the speakers. i, personally, worry about bass last and only after the front stage (front speaker system) is as good as I can get it. that way, always enjoy good music and just improve on it. starting with bass means you sacrifice good music for noise.

for a first timer, Crutchfield is your best resource if a local shop isn't available. Crutchfield will provide vehicle specific instructions and installation accessories for free - which will save you a lot of time and money.

Alpine CDE-147BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

a solid head unit with TuniIt meaning you get 6-ch outputs with time alignment, EQ, and crossovers

and crutchfield gives you the mounting kit and harness

Alpine SPR-60C Type-R 6-3/4" component speaker system — also fits 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com

a nice set of front component speakers that can really sing if properly installed.

again, crutchfield gives you the mounting brackets and harnesses

you could stop there for now, but adding an amp on those speakers will do wonders

JL Audio JX360/4 4-channel car amplifier — 70 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com

crutchfield offers 50% off an amp kit with an amp purchase

Kicker 09ZCK44 4-channel Amp Kit

That sits at $835 shipped, full warranties, all accessories, and lifetime customer service (best in the industry)

the amp is 4 channels so you could bridge the rear channels to a small sub. later, you can build on that system, and buy a larger sub stage and sub amp. for now,

Kicker 10VC124 Ported enclosure with one 4-ohm 12" Comp subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

brings your total to $1,005.

rears can remain stock powered off the head unit, or you can just leave them off. my recommendation would be to power from the head unit but fade to front to greatly reduce level and use time alignment on them. you can always fade more to reduce level.

lastly, you will want to focus on a good speaker install. my build log can give you ideas on that. i use weatherstripping foam to seal the speaker to the door panel - a requirement for good sound without a lot of deadening/sealing of the doors. that said, deadening and sealing the doors is a good next step.

OP should take KHA's advice. The man definitely can build some systems! I was one of those people that added a head unit, amp and subs to the stock speakers up front. While it sounded better than the factory system I always wanted more and felt like it was bass heavy (even running only 500 rms or so).

Now I'm going the opposite direction. Instead of a cheap HU I'm going quality and concentrating on my front stage first. Sub/Subs are an easy addition later on...

kha im liking your suggestions and i have no clue what a multi meter is but i have just about every drill/wrench/saw out there, cept for the specialty stuff. I have a garage i plan to be in when i install all this or on my drive way. Once school starts back up i will be able to dedicate a couple hours everyday to working on it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.