'06 Jeep Wrangler install challenges

DsrtJeeper
10+ year member

If you've owned an '03-'06 Wrangler or completed an install on one; you know my pain. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Here's what I have:

Alpine head unit

Infinity Kappa 5-1/4" components in stock dash location.

5-1/4" Kappa coaxials in overhead sound pods directly above and just behind driver and passenger.

A single Pioneer TS-SW1041D sub in a 1.0 cu ft sealed enclosure firing into the tailgate.

Alpine MRV-F345 4 channel amp. Channels 1/2 power front dash speakers and 3/4 power the sub. The overhead pod speakers are powered by the deck due to the close proximity to my head.

Low pass is crossed over at 80hz.

Complaints:

While playing Disturbed's new cd on track #1; the kick drum overwhelms the 5-1/4" speakers. They can't handle any appreciable bass at listening volumes.

The Kappas are squawky like a horn speaker and hot in the midrange.

Lack of midbass/midrange fill even with BBE set on #3 of the head unit.

Sealed box doesn't have enough output when driving down the highway. Jeep has soft top and I have to overcome road noise.

Back in the day; I preferred old school Soundstream amps for their musicality and speaker brands such as Focal and MB Quart.

I'm concerned that the Kappas are possibly not a long throw woofer style and are distorting all too quickly under power. I'd love to figure a way to get at least 6-1/2" components into the doors. Have you seen a newer Wrangler door panel lately? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

Any help or experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Not much room in there is it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Maybe you need more power to the co-axes ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Not much room in there is it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif Maybe you need more power to the co-axes ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Actually; I have the Wrangler Unlimited that is 15" longer than a standard Wrangler. Much more room for subs and amps. The dash area ***** the most. I don't think the Kappas can take much more power to be honest.

i've been in enough wranglers to know what you're talking about... but not enough to know what to do about the high end problems...

on the lowend i'd get a MUCH larger amp and an extremely beefy 10 or 12 in a small sealed or ported box... this gives you more output in the same amount of space... still, it's gonna be difficult to get really good bass without cabin gain...

i've been in enough wranglers to know what you're talking about... but not enough to know what to do about the high end problems...
on the lowend i'd get a MUCH larger amp and an extremely beefy 10 or 12 in a small sealed or ported box... this gives you more output in the same amount of space... still, it's gonna be difficult to get really good bass without cabin gain...
The amp I'm running isn't beefy? How about the Premier sub that can withstand 1000 watts? I agree that I may need more power and possibly switch to a ported enclosure for more output. I've been considering an Anniversary Edition Punch 75 for the sub.

Don't get me wrong you've got a very nice amp, but (in my opinion) it doesn't have enough power for what you're trying to do. If i'm rememebering right i've seen either 800 or 1000 watt birthsheets on Punch 75's... they're good amps, however i'd suggest something like an Mtx 1501d, Directed 1200d or d2400, something in the 1000-1.5kw range.

On the sub end of things the Alpine Type-X is a high power, small sealed box woofer that sounds great and gets loud... so it would be a good choice in this instance.

Don't get me wrong you've got a very nice amp, but (in my opinion) it doesn't have enough power for what you're trying to do. If i'm rememebering right i've seen either 800 or 1000 watt birthsheets on Punch 75's... they're good amps, however i'd suggest something like an Mtx 1501d, Directed 1200d or d2400, something in the 1000-1.5kw range.
On the sub end of things the Alpine Type-X is a high power, small sealed box woofer that sounds great and gets loud... so it would be a good choice in this instance.
Holy crap!!! That's alot of power. I can get the Punch 75 Anniversary Edition for $216.00 new. Seems like a good bang for the buck. I've just been out of car audio for so long that I don't know what's good or bad. Back in the day; Zapco, Orion, PPI, Soundstream and Fosgate were tops. MTX used to be low budget stuff.

You're thinking too in the box.

Start thinking outside of it and use some brands that are not so mainstream.

All that stuff is ok, but you're asking for something great out of your system.

You're thinking too in the box.
Start thinking outside of it and use some brands that are not so mainstream.

All that stuff is ok, but you're asking for something great out of your system.
Well help me out here; Bud. Is there such a thing as a musical amp that also rocks? I need an edumacation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

After a listen; I've decided to go with Diamond Audio 5-1/4" components in the dash. They seem to offer up more midbass and sweeter sound.

Alpine amp will be upgraded to the new digital style PDX-4.150 , offering more clean power. For some reason; the shop I use pushes Alpine for it's sound quality. They also carry Fosgate and Diamond Audio amps. Anyone have preferences?

Now you're thinking!

Good choice on the amp, if you have the money go with either that one or a Diamond. both are solid. The power should be great for both the sub and the components. Another idea to think about further down the road is going with an active 2- or 3-way system, where instead of using the passive crossovers, you use an external unit and amp each driver independently.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.