'03 F-150 problems

IDSkoT
5,000+ posts

Resonating Reticular
Hey, guys. I have an '03 F-150 I bought used. It has 75K miles now, I believe.

For the past month or so, maybe more, sometimes, when you start the car, it will start, then stall almost instantly.

The gauges will peg for a bit, then it will go back to 0, stay at 0 for a bit, then go to normal. (my Dad, who's own Ford trucks since I could remember, says it's normal.) The engine normally stalls in between this period, if you rev the engine a bit until the gauges go back to normal, it won't stall. Ever.

Also, a new problem (well, one I just discovered), I was driving on the freeway, and I noticed my a/c wasn't blowing that well, I looked at my gauges and realized my engine temp was on H (but not in the red). I pulled over, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, started it, and it was back to normal. I drove again, and it happened again. But it seems it only happens when the A/C is on. The odd thing is, it doesn't happen in the city, only when you keep the RPM at like 2K. I haven't tested it in Neutral and kept it at 2K to see what the deal is. I drove down south today on the highway, I had to pull over twice, I took US1 (a main street here in Miami that has lights and a 45 mph speed limit) on the way back, and it didn't even go above normal temperatures. I was thinking that it's the thermostat. But, I'm not really sure. Could you guys give me any advice for these two problems? They're really bugging me.

Have you checked your cooling system. Level of coolant. Thinking its possible its the Fan clutch going bad. The stalling possible your IAC has gone bad. Lift up your throttle plate and look inside. Is it really dirty in there?.. Not sure but you could take it to a place that is offering free scanning of your computer system. Check to see what kindof codes you have. Yes you can have codes without having the Check engine light on. Get back to us with what codes you have.

Have you checked your cooling system. Level of coolant. Thinking its possible its the Fan clutch going bad. The stalling possible your IAC has gone bad. Lift up your throttle plate and look inside. Is it really dirty in there?.. Not sure but you could take it to a place that is offering free scanning of your computer system. Check to see what kindof codes you have. Yes you can have codes without having the Check engine light on. Get back to us with what codes you have.
I checked the reservoir, and it was at the right level. I also thought about the fan clutch. But, to my knowledge, the fan is directly bolted to a pulley. But, it could still have a clutch.

I'll check the throttle plate tonight.

And I'm getting the alt/battery tested Friday, I'll get a scan, too.

I checked the reservoir, and it was at the right level. I also thought about the fan clutch. But, to my knowledge, the fan is directly bolted to a pulley. But, it could still have a clutch.I'll check the throttle plate tonight.

And I'm getting the alt/battery tested Friday, I'll get a scan, too.
No its a Fan Clutch. An 03 you for sure have it. The Fan will be bolted up to the clucth look silver in color. And then ONE big nut bolted on to the water pump pulley. Alot of times those will go bad. They actaully have fluid in them that can leak out. Also you might have an air pocket in your cooling system. What motor is in your truck. I'll take a peak on all data tomorrow and see if there is insturctions on how to beeld air out. I know there is but cant think of what it is off top of my head.

Sounds like you have multiple problems...the gauges pegging and going back to zero...thats a internal ecu problem. You need to get the truck on a scan tool/diagnostic tool to check everything.

How do you check that, then?
IIRC, the f-150 of that year didn't have a radiator cap directly on the rad correct?

if so, then the only good way to check level in the system is to pull the top rad hose. If the degas tank is full and the upper rad hose is dry, then you have a leak somewhere (one of the hoses, a gasket somewhere, or at worst a head gasket).

The a/c problem sounds like a blown head gasket. This is exactly what happened to my friend when his head gasket was blown, and he didnt figure it out in town and the head warped.

The gauges sound something like a AF problem.

x2 on the fan clutch causing the overheat problem being as it only happens when the a/c is on. as for the stall issue look at IAC valves and throttle plate for carbon build up possible possibly causing it to stick

I have a 2001 f150 and every once in a while if I start the truck and immediatly throw it into gear it will want to die. However if I give it gas it will run. Idk if that is your problem but it sounds like it might be the same thing. Also The gauge issue sounds like an ecu problem idk if I would worry about it immeadiatly ( I would worry about the overheating problem first) but if I where you I would definantly get it looked into. Hope any of this helps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.