0.514³ft 12" box.

Participant count
  • Participant list
So semi against the forums opinion I ordered a Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12". On Dayton's website it reccomends a sealed volume of .49cuft the sub was a displacement of 720.6cm³ (0.0254³ft) so I assume the proper sealed volume is 0.514³ft (its gotta be either that or .49). The sub has a mounting depth of 146mm (5.748 inches) give it the standard 1" of clearance 6.748 inch inside depth. The sub overall outside diameter is 314mm (12.362 inches) if you round that up to 12.5" for clearance you have a minimum internal volume of 1054.0625 cubic inches or .61 cubic feet. This is larger that the reccomended volume. What are you supposed to do? Use up 166 cubic inches of internal bracing?

You could 45 degree angle the back of the box around the subwoofer magnet

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Or inverse mount

You could 45 degree angle the back of the box around the subwoofer magnet 

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Or inverse mount
If I put a 3.5" wide (widest part of the 45° board) around all four sides I get 0.488³ft and if I lay it down just two sides I get 0.548³ft so there is a sweet spot somewhere, but it will be hard to find it. (I could probably make an excel sheet to help). So thanks for the idea, but I don't want to do more work than neccesacry. My actual question is, does inverse mount make a difference? Surely the depth could be much thinner on an inverse mount, and it would be easier to find the volume of the perfect box.

That .12 difference isn't going to be audible anyway IMHO so I wouldn't worry about it.
Are you sure? Most of the difference in premade sealed boxes are just .12³ft. I can easily get the sub box to just 0.034³ft large. If it doesn't make a difference I'll just go with either the 0.548 or the 0.448 box, but I would ideally like to get it as close as possible.

Would it be better to go large or small? Dayton audio says that the box is tuned for 47hz which sounds perfect for me. I don't want to go below 40, but I heard its better to tune for the lower frequency you want (40hz).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.