PPi 356cs first impression

Actually, if the speaker wire is carrying over the set amount of amps or current that should be going through it, it can actually catch fire. Size does matter =].

I think I'm going with 16 gauge Kicker (16 AWG X-series). It really is not an expense issue. Everything I have read has said that 16 gauge will be plenty big for my install. The most I'm going to be running through the wire is 200 watts (and at 4 ohm). I'm also concerned about not making the install too difficult. There is a significant difference in size between 12 gauge and 16 gauge.

. There is a significant difference in size between 12 gauge and 16 gauge.
12 gauge should be 2x bigger than 16 gauge... what's making the biggest diference is the wire coating. my 12awg is as big as 8awg just because of the coating

Mine were installed yesterday. Very happy with them. They really sound amazing and they aren't even broke in yet. The installer had never heard of them before and he was very impressed. He could not believe they only cost $140. He has installed some very high end gear. I'm only running 80 watts RMS to them and they are plenty loud for me. Originally I was thinking I might bridge or bi-amp them but after listening I'm very happy at 80 watts RMS.

Now I have to deaden my doors more. I only went with the Dynamat speaker kits and I can definitely hear rattles etc. when I turn it up.

Thanks for your impressions Xprime4. I would have never bought them if I hadn't read this thread.

Mine were installed yesterday. Very happy with them. They really sound amazing and they aren't even broke in yet. The installer had never heard of them before and he was very impressed. He could not believe they only cost $140. He has installed some very high end gear. I'm only running 80 watts RMS to them and they are plenty loud for me. Originally I was thinking I might bridge or bi-amp them but after listening I'm very happy at 80 watts RMS.
Now I have to deaden my doors more. I only went with the Dynamat speaker kits and I can definitely hear rattles etc. when I turn it up.

Thanks for your impressions Xprime4. I would have never bought them if I hadn't read this thread.
i'm glad you love them too.

I can consider mine fully broken now, and they still impress me and everyone that got a chance to hear em.

i'm getting a new rattle and i can't figure out where it,s coming from. doors are fully deadned so it might be something else in the cabin. Rattling weren't there with the id. The ppi drop so much lower without distorting.

I can also say that they really handle the power like if it was a joke. They stay so clean at high level, more than i need them to be for confortable listening

but 5k amp is coming today, they'll have no chance of being heard lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

just purchased these speakers myself and was thinking about picking up this amp to power them and whatever i decide to put in the rears...http://cgi.ebay.com/MB-QUART-1000-Watt-DSC4125-4-Channel-Car-Amp-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ350231094821QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCar_Amplifiers?hash=item518b666625

any opinions on this amp? seems like a good price. also does anyone know anything about the company that has the amps for sale? any opinions on any of these things would be greatly appreciated.

amkarlix, that amp will work well with this set. I'm running the 80x4 version of it (DSC 480). MB Quart makes great amps for the price. There have been pictures here with the insides (guts) of the DSC 4125. Do you plan on using all 4 channels for the PPi 356cs set?

that's the entry line of mb quart. It sure won'T put out 500x2 @4ohm bridged.. but you can expect alot of power and headroom if you bridge it

The premium line put out rated at 14.4v. little under rated at more realistic voltage

no i had planned on using two channels for the ppi set and the other two channels for what ever i decide to put in the rears
That will work well though most people on here will tell you not to power your rears like that. I'm powering my rear speakers with my head unit and bridging 2 channels to subwoofer (which is on its way). The DSC 4125 is 500 watts RMS bridged ... that could be some very nice bass with a sub...

Amusing. Lots of talk about power handling, but not much detail about how they sound.
There has been plenty of talk in this thread on how they sound. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif AMAZING! After reading comments here I was expecting them to sound very good. They sound much better than I was expecting. I find myself finding excuses to drive my car. The mids are very deep and powerful with amazing detail. The tweeters sound very natural, are bright and crisp, and not too harsh. I'm hearing stuff that I do not hear with my home sound system. They have a lot more bass than I was expecting. I can't wait to pair them with sub (that arrives Wednesday).

This morning I was listening to some jam band music (Disco Biscuits and Phish) and I was blown away by how awesome it sounds. I also have listened to some alternative rock, trance, and classical music and it all sounds fantastic.

Amusing. Lots of talk about power handling, but not much detail about how they sound.
I don't have them hooked up in the car yet. I hooked them up in the house and they sound good. They play very clear and the tweeter is extremely detailed. I will give a better review once I get them installed. The are definitely worth more than $140. This is one of the rare times I actually feel like I got more than I paid for. I think I pushed enough power to them so far to make the the coils in the crossover get warm, but they remained cool to the touch. I just took a chance on them because I saw some pretty good reviews. They don't seemed to be changed much by DEI at all. Nothing feels cheap or bargain about this set! For the price they sound way better than I expected. If you're thinking about getting them, I don't see how you could lose.

This forum is basically useless for detailed reviews on anything. Everyone raves about how the next forum boner comps can handle 300 rms a side, and then 3 months later everyone is *****ing because they blew a tweeter, their crossover melted or something else.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.