PPi 356cs first impression

Xprime4
10+ year member

****in' canadian
Got them few hours ago, and installed them within the next hour.

So many thread about these but so little infos on how they actually are:rolleyes: I've been reading everything that have been said on these i went with those because of the hype ... and because one of my id ctx65cs mids died lately. No detailed review on these over the web. We all know that these are rebadged (and improved???) ads 346cs. Selling at ridiculous price around 140$ shipped i think

I ain't an audiophile in any mean, mainly listening to rap and sometime some rock. I do know how to appreciate a good set and that one...

Doors are fully deadned, around 15ft/sq of damplifier per doors, fully sealed. Mid at stock location (which ain't that bad) right tweeter on-axis, driver one pointing my neck, pretty much on-axis too.

Amp is a Mb Quart Premium line, pa4100 bridge at 4ohm. 300 watt on tap per side, using passive crossover.

Box is big, at least two time bigger than most of the speakers box we know. Alot of things included, like 3 tweeters mounting options, lot of wire, nice classy looking grills, some mounting pieces for the mid... well alot from a set price that low. Box is pretty heavy too.

The mid look like the physicaly looks like the weak link. Maybe i just don't like the plastic basket. Mounting size is 2.5, so pretty shallow. nice looking, but not looking that promising //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Tweeters are a tad bigger than the id's one were. Around the same size as my vc-100. I had to dremel to make them fit.

Crossover......wtf:wow: . I never seens anything like that and no internet picture actually show how impressive it looks. Big, sturdy, i would have expected that from a 2k comp set. Makes the id one look like crap, with its cheap plastic.

ok enough about the physical part of the set. How do they sound //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

first thing i did was a A/B test with the ctx65cs. They're pretty much in the same range, id like 40$ higher so i guess we're comparing apple to apple.

First thing i realize is how unsensitive the ppi's are. The difference was signifiant. I love loud when speakers, so kinda worrying here. The ids seems to have alot more "impact" in the higher region, maybe less detailed, but alot more agressive. Lot of cuts in the 3khz+ region were made. After the a/b test, i wasn't expecing alot anymore.

So i installed to other side, put every eq option back to flat, tweeter on 0db (they come attenuated 3db) and started setting the gain a lil lower than before. The ctx65cs were pretty much taking every watt of power i could set. Tweeters were getting harsh and they were at -3dbs. So for the 356cs, gain a little lower.

at low level, i lowered the hpf to around 60hz and started listening to them. Bass/midbass is weaker than the id set one. But they aren't broke-in yet, just like an hour of play total. They still seems to dig low, they were getting wicked on Snoopdan taylor swift remix songs.

I also realized that it was sound perfect without even toutching the eq. Everything flat:eek: It's been years since i've done that, tweeters were always too harsh (type and s and r comps, some cdt set, vc-100, id ctx65cs all needed alot of tuning). FLAT FLAT FLAT //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

And at that moment i realized how pleasing the sound was. Tweeters ... oh my I love that! smooth as ****, even at higher volume... i can't get enough of that. Lots of details, i need to put some more "sq" oriented track and i'm pretty sure i'll be blown away. Tweeters are exactly what i was looking for.

I started putting some power, they like that too. Rating are full of ****, they start shining at medium to high level. Midbass came alive with the power too, pretty much inexistant at low level, they pound with over 200watts.

I still need some more listening time and maybe some tuning later on, but I really love them. I still need to check their limits, but they do pretty well at high level so far. I still haven't smell them and honestly, it seems like i'm already abusing them:laugh:

cliffs:

- they need power, don't give these the 60 watts they are rated for.

-sound GREAT out of the box, can't wait to see their full potential

-Sick price, i would have paid that just for the crossover.

-tweeter oh my, i still have to hear something that sound better than these

-gotta go back in my car ATM:veryhapp:

ok so actually i was lookin at either those id CTX65CS and those ppi's. they would get 150 each. since u've had both which would u recommend. an would u recommend a bigger amp?
I just added some content in the first post. 150 seems like a nice number, i haven't push them enough to "confirm" to they,ll take alot more

The id were the best i heard in that price range.. till this morning. Midbass on the image dynamics is very nice tho

Back from another long ride and some parking time:D

I can already say that i love them alot better than the Id, which i already like more than few "higher end" comps. Midbass was alot more there in the id, but sounding different alot from unbroken-in 356cs. Midbass was muddier in the id, almost overexagered (sp???)

it sound a little sharper on the ppi and so far they play lower better too.

i've been pushing some more power... they still doesn't seems stressed. They get fairly loud so far

Midrange seems detailed alot , i heard few part in instrumental i could never clearly ear before.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.