PPi 356cs first impression

I dont know why you would even try 300 per side. The company would never say 60rms per side when a set is capable of running 300 per side.

Kevin

Well company rating are made for those who don't even know what clipping/hpf is and aren't as educate as most of us. I won't ever send 300watt of a 1khz sinewave, but setting the amp to get 300watt on a sinewave and then play music till that level is not out of question. So it's set for 250watt, but it's not even getting half of that 90% of the time on music.

Just don't be dump and they shouldn't blow. I may get the gain a tad up in a week or two, but so far i wouldn't even need to. Substage is pretty much turn off these days, so i can enjoy the midbass some more. I'm running my hpf pretty low atm too, so they can broke-in quicker.

I'm starting to appreciate the midrange some more. it shows detail like i never heard from my previous comps set in car. Every single instrument is so much more distinctive on rock music and on rap sample. Midbass also impress me more and more

I dont know why you would even try 300 per side. The company would never say 60rms per side when a set is capable of running 300 per side.

Kevin

You would be suprised what a set can handle on music if your careful and not crazy with the gains.

Before I sold it, I bridged my AQ4x90 to my PG RSD comps, thats 250w per side, more that 4x the recommend RMS and they took it fine. (mind you, I had replaced the PG tweeters with my Blaupunkt VC100s, but the PG mids and passive crossovers were still in place).

I ran over 300w to a set of Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5s comps at one time as well, never had an issue, other than not liking the sound of the tweeter with that set.

Even though these speakers have low RMSs, they also have a low efficiency, so im pretty sure they can soak up some power as Xprime has demostraded.

What Tez4life said is true

ok so they got some playing time now so i did push them even more and i tried with the substage at full tilt. They obviously don't keep up at 142db, but the on-axis tweeters aren't totaly drown.

I also boosted the 125hz band on my parametric clarion eq and the midbass got a little more alive... it's interresting to say the least. hpf still at 63hz

So i put every single clean watt of power left and they take it nicely on most of the tracks i've tried. At maximum level, tweeters start to get a little harsh (don't forget they're on-axis and not attenuated at all) but some tiny cut at 6khz, 8khz and 12khz seems to take care of that. I'll leave them at 0db still...

I just did few secs power burst to see if they were doing fine, and they did. They start distortionning on heavy bass track like put on, but hpf is still pretty **** low for now, i'll higher it pretty soon.

Tweeters hasn't even been in protection yet...

oh yeah it's **** loud!!!! i was feeling dizzy when i left the car after 3-4min at full tilt...

My RSDs kept up with my 142db in my hatch lol. I am so excited. I am at school thought so the wont get tinkered with until thanksgiving.....

Kevin

Xprime4,

I'm thinking of buying these over the Apline Type R component speakers. From what I have heard in this thread and others the PPi 356cs is a step up from the Type R (though has a similar price). My amp is rated 80 watts RMS x 4 and I was only planning on using 2 channels for the components (the other 2 bridged to sub). I was also considering the id CTX65CS set. I usually like to listen to my speakers before I buy them (I listened to the type R set) but I cannot with the PPi or id sets.

Do you think the PPi 356cs would work for my setup and do you think they are a better choice than the type R?

Thanks!

The Type R comp set ***** imo, the id and ppi are in another league.

I'd say the Id are nice for rap music or anything that is midbass heavy like RnB. Midrange is pretty warm too, they definitively sound great, but are not as detailed as the ppi in the uppper range.

The ids are more efficient too, 80watt on the ppi is pretty borderline imo. If you love the Type R comp, the Id will definitively impress you a lot more.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Thanks for reply Xprime4.

From what you are saying it sounds like the PPi would be more to my taste. I'm really not into heavy midbass music. I think I'm going to go with the 365cs. I can always use all 4 channels of my amp and buy a mono amp for sub if I have to. The mounting depth of the Id is also too much, the PPi set will fit much better (and is $40 cheaper).

Thanks!

Did some more testing lately,

i tried with tweeter atenuated from the crossover at -3db, trying to get rid of some harshinest at high volume and was back to 0bd few hours later. I'll try -3db on driver side (like 18inch from my head) and 0 on the passanger one (like 3feet away)

i did drive them even more with tweeter at -3db and the midbass really shine when pushing some power into them. they handle it fine and sound loud and clear //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

pics opf install and said giant crossover please
check my sig thread as far as the instal go. Just did a direct swap between the ids and ppi.

Crossover are so ****ing huge, right now there just under the passenger carpet... i can't even put a single one in my glove box, too big //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Xprime4,

Can you confirm if there is speaker wire included in package and what gauge it is?

In the other thread he said it came with 100 ft of speaker wire. I'm trying to get all my stuff together in advance of install. I was planning on getting some 12 gauge speaker wire for my install (Kicker 12 AWG X-Series) but if I don't need to I can save some money...

Thanks!

Xprime4,
Can you confirm if there is speaker wire included in package and what gauge it is?

In the other thread he said it came with 100 ft of speaker wire. I'm trying to get all my stuff together in advance of install. I was planning on getting some 12 gauge speaker wire for my install (Kicker 12 AWG X-Series) but if I don't need to I can save some money...

Thanks!
no way there's 100ft of speaker wire. I'd say more like 40ft max. looks like quality 16awg. I didn't use the wire coming with the set,n i'm using 12awg to the crossover

Thanks Xprime4.

My installer is telling me that is not a good idea to have the crossovers too far from tweeters. I was planning on putting the crossover in trunk near my amp. It sounds like you have your crossovers near the tweeters. What are your thoughts on this? Should I be good with crossovers in trunk with 12 gauge wire running to speakers?

Thanks

Thanks Xprime4.
My installer is telling me that is not a good idea to have the crossovers too far from tweeters. I was planning on putting the crossover in trunk near my amp. It sounds like you have your crossovers near the tweeters. What are your thoughts on this? Should I be good with crossovers in trunk with 12 gauge wire running to speakers?

Thanks
wire size for speaker is so overrated. 12awg is overkill on most setup. tweeter wire are pretty much always 18awg and they don't need to be bigger. alternative current doesn't need wire as big as the direct one who's carrying more amperage. I may be wrong on this, but i'm pretty sure you won't hear any noticable difference within 12 to 18awg. few less watts will be getting at the crossover that's all

no problem putting the crossover in the trunk either

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.