New to Car audio forum, looking for help on first build

Proteios
10+ year member

Hey everyone new to car audio systems, i have a budget of about 1,000 and looking for ideas on the best build for my buc. I own a Corolla 03 S. I was thinking type r 12's 4ohms, a iDA-X200 Alpine deck, a box, and either a pdx 1.1000amp or 1000 vpower amp, or a 2000w vpower amp though it isnt out yet i think. Whats the difference between the PDX amps and the vpower amps? Is this a dumb build and can i do better with my cash?

1000 smacks huh.

Well I take it you want to buy everything new? Because you could get some killer stuff used off here. But the Type R's are decent. I take it they are the 500rms ones right? Before that year model I believe they were only 300rms and didn't like the extra power.

I say start with a good deck and componet set and then go from there.

The PDx line of Alpine amps are the newer ones IIRC. The vPower have been out and are their cheaper line. I am just going on memory, so I may have that backwards.

No it isn't a dumb build, but you may be able to score better equipment used. I take it since you are new you want to stay with main name brands, right? Because that isn't always the best route.

yeah i dont know much about the non namebrand companys out there people i know have been offering to sell me their subs and amps but i dunno how to buy used car audio products, Will i need to buy better speakers? People have told me i can use my stock speakers but i dunno if its true, my corolla has pretty good stock speakers haha people who have subs have asked me if i had subs already lol, iwas like nah all stock. But yeahi was looking at Ebay, and some other online stores, im probably gonna get it installed a local shop how much do u think itll cost to install my stuff? and how much is a good set of cables and wiring gonna cost? People have also told me im going overkill and my car is going to rattle too much and that i should save money going with 10's. Where do i go to look for the used stuff on here?

Those are Type Es, R's are 750W RMS and like 1000 Peak or something
What the hell are you talking about? The R's are 500rms and have been for a while. The older R's were 300 I believe and didn't like to go over rated power. The 500rms ones you can give more power as long as you are careful.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14954

Didn't you have some type R's? You should have known that. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

good thing u came here before making final decisons! I am sure after reading up you will find the perfect setup to fulfil lyour needs and learn that there is more brands then kicker, RF, alpine and JL!

yeah i dont know much about the non namebrand companys out there people i know have been offering to sell me their subs and amps but i dunno how to buy used car audio products, Will i need to buy better speakers? People have told me i can use my stock speakers but i dunno if its true, my corolla has pretty good stock speakers haha people who have subs have asked me if i had subs already lol, iwas like nah all stock. But yeahi was looking at Ebay, and some other online stores, im probably gonna get it installed a local shop how much do u think itll cost to install my stuff? and how much is a good set of cables and wiring gonna cost? People have also told me im going overkill and my car is going to rattle too much and that i should save money going with 10's. Where do i go to look for the used stuff on here?
Sounds to me you are talking to the wrong people.

There are many internet brands that are making big splashes like RE who is know in a lot of local stores, Fi, SSA, Stereo Integrity and the list goes on and on. I do understand you being new and all you might not want to go that route and that is fine. Hell I run a Kicker CVX 12 and love it! So if you want to stay that route, then so be it. Just was trying to give you my thought on it all.

I currently run stock speakers on a 400 watt Clarion amp and they sound as good as my el cheapo MB Quarts. So you can be fine in that department as long as you amp them some. I suggest a good componet though as that is the way to go, which I have an awesome set, just wanting to sound deaden my doors first.

You can get some killer deals on ebay, just don't get some cheap crap to pass you buy. There are some good sellers here in the classified section as well.

Good set of cables and wiring can get up there, but I suggest with what you might be looking at a nice 0/1g wiring kit to a distro block to 4g to your amps and what not to knock some of the price down. Or if you want, do all 0/1g and call it day. Just might run ya. I suggest shielded RCA's as well.

Also to save you more money, I suggest you try installing yourself. Never know, may enjoy it. I used to always do it till I hurt my back pretty bad and always kicked myself for having others do it when I knew I could do just as good and save the money.

A good shop can cost ya, but if you don't trust yourself, then go that route.

As far as rattles go, then try some sound deadening material. I used fatmat and Second skin in my car and I have 1 12 off 750rms almost doing 140 dbs and can barely hear anything when all the windows are up.

Good set of cables and wiring can get up there, but I suggest with what you might be looking at a nice 0/1g wiring kit to a distro block to 4g to your amps and what not to knock some of the price down. Or if you want, do all 0/1g and call it day. Just might run ya. I suggest shielded RCA's as well.

Umm could u ellaborate wut u meant with 0/1g and 4g, distro block? im kinda confused it sounds like mumble jumble to me hahah ^_^

Sorry.

O/1g is the wire size, same with the 4g. The higher the number the smaller the wire. Most people with basic systems go with 4g through out, which you could probably do if you want to save money and be fine.

Distribution block is basically where you can run bigger wire and split it to smaller wire with the Distro block. That is why I suggested running 0/1g wire to the 4g to the amps. When you run bigger amps and what not, you want to run bigger and better wire, such as 0/1g wire. Anything under I would say 800rms, you could get away with 4g.

Anything i need to know when dealing with local shops, service? What other cables will i need to install the deck and and subs how much will that cost?

Anything i need to know when dealing with local shops, service? What other cables will i need to install the deck and and subs how much will that cost?
Ask how much they charge and go to other local shops and compare. If you do go in there not knowing much and they pick up on it, they may go over the top with prices.

I say stick around here and ask some questions and you will learn. Is really not all that hard to do. There are plenty of people that could help you out.

Depending on deck, you will need a wire harness and dash kit for it. Cost, it depends on what car I imagine.

Subs? What are you looking for? Clean tight bass, or ungodly loud bass?

With a small budget like that, I would suggest buying used around here. You'll be able to buy much nicer equipment with limited funds. Here's how I wold break it down.

HU: Pioneer P660 $100

Amp: Elemental Designs Nine.5 $350

Components: Pioneer TS-C720PRS $250

Rear Fill : Pioneer REVs $75

Sub: Phoenix Gold RSd12D $110

*That leaves you with $115 for wiring and building materials. Build your own ported box for the sub, to get more output for the money. Plus, you won't have to pay some shop an outrageous amount of cash to do something you can do on your own.

Have fun.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.