no good at car audio so why not build a system

Participant count
  • Participant list
Not sure what you're accustomed to, but those male 2.8 and 4.8 leads are pretty standard across the industry. i solder all my speakers in, heat shrink them up, good to go. If you're not inclined to solder Amazon has whole kits of 2.8mm 4.8mm 6.3mm Male and Female Wire Spade Connector with Insulating Sleeves if you prefer.

I think that good soldering work is best in a car environment. No vibration issues, no open metal to corrode, solid unfettered connection. Screw type, crimped, slide on, all have the potential down the road to degrade, solder, just not an issue.
The tiny speakers came with the connectors in a standard size. The mids did not and the male ends on these units are not industry standard. My digital calipers are measuring 3.8mm and 5.5mm. Not standard. I have a bucket full of both imperial and metric connectors and none of them fit the speakers themselves. Other products I have bought came with connectors and even the cheapo Walmart speakers come with connectors and small bit of wire.

Some companies see direct soldering as a warranty violation. Most quality connectors click into the hole and are very difficult to separate. Never had a problem with them and am not trying to blow out my windshield. It's pretty much a non issue but seems odd that at that price point they would skimp on a couple of connectors.

Well, I've owned probably over 100 different drivers in the last 40 years and almost every single speaker in the NVX line-up over the last 8 years, so again, nothing unusual about the connections used as I see them on a multitude of different companies products.

I've never once had a company deny a warranty claim on the basis of soldering the speaker terminals, not one. They can tell if you burned it up by improper soldering or not, just never been an issue for me.

The main reason most connections on are not soldered is not for heat reasons, on the contrary, it's just time and labor intensive as opposed to snap or slide on connectors which while adequate, are not as good as soldering. Soldering is a completely impractical method from an installer or manufacture installation standpoint, not for the diy'r.

IMHO If you know how to solder properly, you should, it's better.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...