False floor/amp rack in my Explorer

UPDATE:

I am done with carpeting and I pretty much have everything together right now. Really, I did not have much time into it today but still managed to get everything going.

I got a mock up here but not everything is being screwed in cuz I want to make holes for the wires first before i start putting them all together.

Figured that I would need some kind of ventilation for fresh air to come in. I went to my local store asking for a circle vent and they have it! most stores wouldnt have this big ( 3"), most of the time they say I can only order one. My local Home depot has them in 2 inches only while my local store had 3" so I went ahead and bought 4 vents( I ended up using 3). I figured I would place them above where my fans would be. I think it is a perfect air flow for my type of fans since it is curved at the bottom to blow the air into the amp and then the air would exit into my rearseats--I will add a grille on the hole so it would look more classy. Also the vents were white so I grabbed some all purpose black paint to cover it up with black color to flow with my set up better.

Just a mock-up

IMG00035-20100109-1935.jpg

the 3" vents, I have one left in case I need to add another vent somewhere.

IMG00037-20100109-1937.jpg

used 3" hole saw to cut the vent holes

IMG00038-20100109-2002.jpg

floor carpeted and vents installed. I want to do something nice on the underside(not pictured as it is not done, my friend has a router so I will borrow it someday soon.. My roommate is a graffiti artist so I am going to ask him to spray something related to my car/personality, OR I will just spray a big ford emblem on the backside to give it some style hah.

IMG00040-20100109-2034.jpg

IMG00041-20100109-2034.jpg

I like those vents //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I might have put some on the oppisite end too.

I'd mount a hinged cover to a small linear actuator to lift up while driving and close when not in use to help ventilate the amps.....
That would be hot ha. Maybe later down the road I'll do that

where did you get those fans and how much? i have a first gen orion 2150gx amp that i am trying to resurrect and i know when i get her going it will run hot mostly due to the fact that it is so old it doesnt even have a mosfet power supply. straight up bipolar junction transistor power supply.runs hot as a b!tch

I like those vents //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I might have put some on the oppisite end too.
I would like to do that too but I dont want any more air flow restriction so I think I better keep it to 1 vent.

where did you get those fans and how much? i have a first gen orion 2150gx amp that i am trying to resurrect and i know when i get her going it will run hot mostly due to the fact that it is so old it doesnt even have a mosfet power supply. straight up bipolar junction transistor power supply.runs hot as a b!tch
Those fans are from amazon, LINK I think I paid 25 bucks a piece.

I bought it almost a year ago lol, I thought I would get around to building a rack and floor but I didn't until now.

Well, it appears, I'm late to the party. You've already made your cuts. I was going to mention that I would have suggested placing your fans on the ends of the amps, not on the sides of each one. The way you have them now, you are only efficiently cooling one side of the heat sink. The other will be practically a back eddy, where heat would stack up. With most amps, you don't need a gale force wind to cool them, just air to circulate around them.

So, you could have made air dams on one END of the amps, and had the fans **** the air out. Vent hole on the face of the left side of the 2x10, to let air in, and a vent hole on the right side of the face of the 2x10, for exhaust. This would farce air to travel along the heat sink fins, and vent out the other side. As well, you would not have reduced utility of your cargo area, as you now do. ~ i.e.- If you place anything like groceries or luggage, in the rear area, you will block your vents.

Sorry, I was late to reply.

No worries, I am thinking about adding computer fans just like u did later.

I guess this will do just for now.

I finished the floor but I did not hook it all up as I gave up on it like 30 mins ago.

Lesson learned- get Knu Flex or Kicker Hyperflex period. My KLMX would NOT cooperate at all. It is about 20 degrees here right now and KLMX cable would not move for me which got me pissed off. And it was dark so my frustration added up.

I decided to stop and continue tomorrow morning. I am thinking about borrowing my mom's hair dryer to blow at the cable to make it f-ing bend.

here are some pics if you guys curious about the progress:

IMG00047-20100110-1844.jpg

Instead of putting sub and box back in, there are some tools lying //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif really wanted to finish it today ha. oh well

IMG00048-20100110-1848.jpg

Right now I am seriously considering about buying kicker hyperflex. But I am going to wait until tomorrow to see if it is for real that I cant make the KLMX to move in the way i want it to be.

I am finished!!

IMG00050-20100111-1458.jpg

I am impressed with how those fans work, they really do their job! They blow hard and all the way to the exit hole, I can feel air blowing into my hands. seems to be very efficient but I will monitor the temperatures under the floor as time goes.

I was unable to have the wires connect to my amp thru the holes I drilled because Knukonceptz KLMX cable would not bend for me especially when it is in upper 10 degrees here. I am considering about buying some kicker hyperflex this spring and swap the wires with the hyperflex. Take my word on this, if your place gets cold like here during winters, you would want a Knu Fleks or Hyperflex for their flexibility.

I wanted to hook up my 4 channel amp but I did not realize I dont have a long enough 4 channel rca interconnects so I am going to order longer one soon when I come up with extra cash. and would need to buy some speaker wire as well. I think I should be able to get components and 4 ch installed this spring. Much easier to work around when the weather is warm.

I can do that when I go out later today. I dont feel like getting out of the house right now when I am perfectly warm lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.