False floor/amp rack in my Explorer

JarvisB
10+ year member

JarvisB
MI/DC
Just thought I'd share.

First of all, many thanks to kbkid for his idea(he did this in his explorer a while back), and many thanks to HCCA as he helped me out in explaining everything I need to do. Seriously I asked him shitload of questions lol.

_________

My goal is to hide my amp and make it look neat. I like it simple and clean.

I really wish I could do the same with my sub and box but I love it so it's staying there.

It is not 100% done obviously. I expect to be done with it in a few days. I am waiting on the carpet, which is supposed to get here tomorrow.

This is sort of a mock up but the cutting is not complete as I need to cut out a vent hole. Also I have not installed hinges yet because I want to wait until my carpet arrives tomorrow so I can apply it to them and then get everything screwed up.

I think I am going to add a beauty trim to the hole and black metal mesh behind so it would look good.

Like I said this is just a mock up, I have a 4 channel amp which is not pictured(and it is for sale tho) and I am not 100% sure where to mount the fans yet. I got a few ideas, I just gotta decide which one would work best. More likely I will move the amp up close to the vent so it will get a better ventilation area. Keep in mind, my amp is ZX2500.1 and it gets pretty got as it is non fan-cooled amp even when my voltage mostly floats in mid 14s range.

Finally here's the pics (my bad with the babbling lol)

IMG00012-20100106-1301.jpg

IMG00014-20100106-1354.jpg

IMG00015-20100106-1355.jpg

IMG00016-20100106-1400.jpg

IMG00017-20100106-1401.jpg

I only have like 1/4 to 1/2 inch of space between top of amp and bottom of the floor, I think that is sufficent space for airflow to pass through tho. It got a bit crowded as I used 5/8 board.

That's about all the space mine has. It should be fine. It's not the space ABOVE that matters as much as the airflow across the amp(s) that matters more. What amps are you looking at getting, since your Kicker is FS? As you can tell by my avatar, I like Orions! Though, I used BA in my current setup. And, they do work well. I thought I would try them, as the original Orions were dumped. I had the 2nd gen Orion HCCA's, but the NT's were better. Both are gone.

I think that if someone were to bring back the old Orion amps, and the old ADS speakers/subs, we would have some AWSOME SQ Sh!t on our hands!!!

P.S.- Have somewhere for the amp heated air to go. I did push/pull, so the air was drawn in, and then vented out.

BTW, don't wreck this one!

That's about all the space mine has. It should be fine. It's not the space ABOVE that matters as much as the airflow across the amp(s) that matters more. What amps are you looking at getting, since your Kicker is FS? As you can tell by my avatar, I like Orions! Though, I used BA in my current setup. And, they do work well. I thought I would try them, as the original Orions were dumped. I had the 2nd gen Orion HCCA's, but the NT's were better. Both are gone.
I think that if someone were to bring back the old Orion amps, and the old ADS speakers/subs, we would have some AWSOME SQ Sh!t on our hands!!!

P.S.- Have somewhere for the amp heated air to go. I did push/pull, so the air was drawn in, and then vented out.

BTW, don't wreck this one!
Well I figured that I wont be upgrading my rear fill as I rarely have more than one passenger so I figured that I should sell my 4ch and get a solid 2 channel.

I plan on blowing from both of fans from all the way back towards the vent.

But now I realize that it wont be having any fresh air coming in.. lol hmm I guess I got to think of something else maybe. Or it would be ok just to blow both fans towards the vent to keep the heat out.

lol I think he covered most of things in his own build log, search for his thread somewhere around here.

zx2500.1, zx650.4, 15" cd omega, 3.5 cubes tuned @ 32hz

components and 650.4 arent installed yet but they r going in this spring when I have more time to do it.

My components are fusion 6.5 comps. forgot the model but i ll check later.

Guys, I cant even decide on this one so hope some of your input would help my decision.

I got 2 fans and I am not sure which one would be ideal for cooling of my amps. keep my mind kicker zx series amps are non fancooled, but they work like an horse when hot tho. Just want to have the most efficient cooling possible to get the most out of my investment on the fans.

The picture was taken this morning before I made the vent cutout on the board up behind the rear seat.

From what it seems, I will have to only have the capability to blow the hot air out by using both of my fans but I am not sure where am I supposed to get some fresh air in. I thought about making cutout above the fans and put in a mesh but I realized that the board is 5/8 inch so it wont work.

I am thinking about finding some computer fans locally and add them to the backboard on both sides to **** the fresh air in.

concept #1

IMG00026-20100108-1945.jpg

concept #2

IMG00027-20100108-2003.jpg

So which way should I mount it in for the best efficiency? Just looking for some opinions. I think I will have everything installed and hooked up by tomorrow as I got the grommets to clean up the look as well

Also I decided to go ahead and get the carpeting over with. It was my very first attempt at carpeting anything lol, I think I am pleased with how I did. But I could do a bit better with the back board because I could not get the carpeting on the edge of the cutout in the middle 100% right.

IMG00030-20100109-0041.jpg

Amp rack- yes the weights are on it lol. I left it in my bro's barn and it was **** cold so it got slightly bent so I am just trying to flatten it up before Installing it tmw.

IMG00031-20100109-0041.jpg

backboard and the "legs"

I'm sure some of you missed this post while the forum was blowing up last night.

I need help on deciding where to mount the fans. Some input would be appreciated, thanks.

Guys, I cant even decide on this one so hope some of your input would help my decision.
I got 2 fans and I am not sure which one would be ideal for cooling of my amps. keep my mind kicker zx series amps are non fancooled, but they work like an horse when hot tho. Just want to have the most efficient cooling possible to get the most out of my investment on the fans.

The picture was taken this morning before I made the vent cutout on the board up behind the rear seat.

From what it seems, I will have to only have the capability to blow the hot air out by using both of my fans but I am not sure where am I supposed to get some fresh air in. I thought about making cutout above the fans and put in a mesh but I realized that the board is 5/8 inch so it wont work.

I am thinking about finding some computer fans locally and add them to the backboard on both sides to **** the fresh air in.

concept #1

IMG00026-20100108-1945.jpg

concept #2

IMG00027-20100108-2003.jpg

So which way should I mount it in for the best efficiency? Just looking for some opinions. I think I will have everything installed and hooked up by tomorrow as I got the grommets to clean up the look as well

Since you have these amps covered up, I would take the covers off (if possible) and put one fan per amp, blowing across the lenght of each amp. I have one of those fans blowing across the lenght of my four channel. The fan is angled up to catch the top cover opening. Soundstream Turantula amps have that design so it make mine heat up more cuase the heatsink is under the board. The first amp I seen like this. I am thinking about putting feet under each amp but the TRX1000D's havent really heated up on me, just the TRX880.4. It used to get hot, but I figured alll that out and added the fan just in case. I had 2 fans but one failed.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.