E8 problem

teen
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
LI, NY
so i got a pair of E8s. ive had them for a few months now, got them during the summer sometime. box is under 1.5 cubes, theres seeing about 400w @ 2 ohms btwn the pair.

so a few days ago, they cut out outta nowhere. i figured a wire or something came loose. kept driving and they came back on. forgot about it and they played for the next day or so. then yesterday they were playing, then cut out again. came back on for like 2 seconds and then cut out again. i figured it was the amp, but today i hooked the subs up to my brothers amp in his car and they still don't play. so that narrows out the amp. pulled the subs from the box, connections in the box are fine. hooked up each sub individually to the amp, the first one wouldn't play, but i kinda pushed the cone down a little and it started playing. it just froze up for some reason. figured the second would do the same. but the second one isn't playing at all. tried 2 different amps and my receiver from inside the house and it wont play. ive started pulling the cone out and i can see the coils and they look fine. no burn marks or anything, they're not uncoiled or anything.

so do you guys think this is a coil problem or what? i don't wanna try and find a recone if thats not gunna help. any suggestions?

i couldnt get a reading off either coil, but after the one sub started working, it gave me a reading. the second one no reading.

Sounds as if the tinsel lead connection is messed up.
I ordered more re-cone parts for Mike Bruno... he'll have them before too much longer
i was thinking tinsel leads, but would that cause the first one to freeze up and then just start playing when i pushed down on the cone? or do you think both subs are having two different problems?

shifted coils maybe. i know basscort2009 had this probelm with his lvl5
i think that was kinda sorta the problem with the one i got to start playing, but who knows for sure.

I am having this same problem! I tried new RCA's, compleletly rewired the subs and nothing! If you figure it out, let me know please. I'll do the same. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

yea ill definitely let you know. its not the RCAs or your wiring, if it is indeed the same problem.

Yea, I figured that out at 3:30 in the morning when I tried all those things. :p Ripping the dash out after I got out of work, such a bad idea. Ha ha. I emailed Jacob though, and he definitely seems to think it's the tensil connection. I don't know what I need to do to get that fixed. I don't know if they're under warranty or anything cause I bought them off some randy on here. I think i'd pay to get these fixed though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

jacob sold them all off meaning hes really not responsible for them. i mean i know hes here to help, but its not really his problem. and he already said he thinks its something with the tinsel leads, so ill just pick up a new recone when woofercooker gets 'em in. not much else i can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.