IndySlim

ANSWERED Wattage, High output alternator, need help

Hi there Bassheads. I'm new here and I'm putting my own system together for the 1st time with no help from the local shops as far ability to install mechanically im great at that but I've never been good at the technical part I usually take whatever advice the shop gives me and they do the rest eventhough im very capable of installing my own system. I'm a huge Jl audio fan so I have 2 12w7's 2, 2 jl 500/1 ( i would do 2 jl 1000/1's but that would be to much for my current vehicle and my kids). Anyhow I will also be using a jl a1200 amp for my interiors and yes I know my amps are older but I already know what they are capable of and that's sufficient for me. My question is that Im driving a 1999 oldsmobile eighty eight fully loaded electric everything thing and my concern is extra batteries or HO alternator i know I'll need atleast one of the 2 because in my history and knowledge of jl amps they draw a lot of current and with my car having so many electrical components Im sure I'll get dimming lights @some point. Now I don't do alot of bassing without my car running its a forced habit due to past battery and alternator nightmares that were real so batteries really wont come in to play (If I'm correct). However i would like to know if i should change my stock battery, do a big 3 (I actually am a mechanic), how much more amperage should have from my HO (200, 220, 250 amps are the ones I found available for my car stock is 140 amps), and eventhough I know its safe I don't like the thought of having those batteries or bass caps in my trunk for nothing. Cause I pretty much dont bass with out it running. Can anyone tell me if I'm headed in the right direction, if not point me that way, and if so can I get some suggestions or opinions on my set up. i already have the equipment so changing brands and getting different amps and subs isn't a possibility. I am not good at understanding the calculations with amperage Thats why im asking

You can kinda just upgrade along the way and test it as you add things to calculate whether it's enough juice or not. Start off by swapping out your stock battery with the biggest AGM you can fit and do the big 3. You have a pretty decent stock alt so I would see if it can handle it first with the load and if not, HO alt is next in line. No need to put extra batteries in the trunk unless you want to upgrade to bigger amps in the future. Otherwise, you're headed the right direction. 

If you already have the JL equipment, just use it. That's a classic setup right there. A lot of nostalgia that is worth keeping. I would've said go with the 2 1000/1's screw it but since you already have the 500/1's and you know what they're capable of, why not? 

2009 Scion TC

HU: Alpine INA-W910

Processor: Alpine PXA-H800

Amps: B2 Audio Zero.5R - Zapco Z-150.4LX - Zapco Z-150.2LX

Front Stage: New front stage TBA~, JL ZR800's

Subs: 4 10" Dayton HO's 3.2 cu ft @ 30hz

Electrical: Singer 320a, XS D2400, Juicebox Lithium 20ah

you can always turn it down with the sub level on your head unit. Get more power than needed. Your alt is solid, you just need a 2ndary batt to the rear. If you want to keep it in the engine bay and dont want to upgrade the alt, consider getting a LifePO4 lithium battery like jy power or limitless brands around 20 ah is more than enough for two jl 1000.1s.

09 Sienna Subs : Four Team Ascendant 18s......Sub amp: Two Taramps 15k

Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS......Mids/Highs two pioneer gm 8604 bridged, one at 4 ohms bridged one at 2 ohms bridged, one ppi 600.2 for tweets.

Front stage: Two PWX 10s per door midbass only....... PRV 6MR500 midrange....... Massive CT 2 german tweeters.

320 amp Singer alt....... 1 group 34 under the hood 6 group31 agms in the back 560 amp hours total.

4 hours ago, blazian87 said:

You can kinda just upgrade along the way and test it as you add things to calculate whether it's enough juice or not. Start off by swapping out your stock battery with the biggest AGM you can fit and do the big 3. You have a pretty decent stock alt so I would see if it can handle it first with the load and if not, HO alt is next in line. No need to put extra batteries in the trunk unless you want to upgrade to bigger amps in the future. Otherwise, you're headed the right direction. 

If you already have the JL equipment, just use it. That's a classic setup right there. A lot of nostalgia that is worth keeping. I would've said go with the 2 1000/1's screw it but since you already have the 500/1's and you know what they're capable of, why not? 

Yea I wanted the 1000/1's but I want my kids eardrums to develop before I bust them. They like them but haven't been around the bass long lol I gotta ease them in. What's an AGM? I'm not well versed on the bass head lingo my bad hell I had to Google big 3 lol. I kinda figured the big 3 was an automatic thing I needed to do after seeing a freakish accident on another forum in a car with the same engine and a HO. Gotta make sure I fuse it close to the HO and make sure I got good ground. I have an extra regular car battery will that work as far as the trunk is concerned? 

Edited by IndySlim

Thank you Blazian and Jeffdachef for your insight. So you guys think my stock alternator is sufficient? I was basing that aspect of my question on my past experience with JL. Usually when I first get my beats hooked up with JL equipment it works fine at first but after a month or so then I get the common power issues dimming lights, etc. just kinda trying to cut out any possible bumps in the road cause this summer I'll be traveling in my car and any kinks I can workout now i want jump on

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now