Sign in to follow this  
tat2Jerry

Port Area

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

How accurate is the calculator for port area on this site ?

it's saying I need 138 square inches for 2 15" with 19mm xmax sundown SAs at 35hz

seems like a lot of port for a 7 cube enclosure and being that big it's gonna be a really long port

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

11 hours ago, tat2Jerry said:

it's saying I need 138 square inches for 2 15" with 19mm xmax sundown SAs at 35hz

seems like a lot of port for a 7 cube enclosure and being that big it's gonna be a really long port

I've never used it personally... what length does it give you?

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

2 minutes ago, shredder2 said:

I've never used it personally... what length does it give you?

it gave me around 16" length but when I put everything in winisd it showed tune around 43hz not 35

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

1 minute ago, tat2Jerry said:

it gave me around 16" length but when I put everything in winisd it showed tune around 43hz not 35

I'd trust Winisd a lot more than whatever you're trying to use currently. 

Try Torres box calculator, it's not dead-on but a lot closer or Xplicit audio has an app that seems to be close. 

Others use different ones too... but I cant speak for them... sorry

Unless you're killing those Sa-15's with power I'd think that much port is unnecessary in any case, how much are you putting to them? 

I use a ton of port (108in2) in a much larger enclosure (5.77ft3) on a single Sa-15 with a higher tune (43ish) and it does pretty good, but I was after specific goals in my situation.

JVC KD-X350BTS, Sundown Sa-15 5.7ft3 net ported @ 43hz, Synergy 3K@ 2 ohm, RF 500s, Polk DB comps, Cache Preamp/EQ

1 hour ago, shredder2 said:

Try Torres box calculator, it's not dead-on but a lot closer or Xplicit audio has an app that seems to be close. 

Unless you're killing those Sa-15's with power I'd think that much port is unnecessary in any case, how much are you putting to them? 

I use a ton of port (108in2) in a much larger enclosure (5.77ft3) on a single Sa-15 with a higher tune (43ish) and it does pretty good, but I was after specific goals in my situation.

I’m using a Orion XTR 2500.1 so they’ll have some power that amp is good for 5k

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

How does yours sound tuned to 43 I listen to everything music wise but I also want loud 

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

It's got a lot of output for what it is IMHO.

I'm pleased with the results.

19 hours ago, tat2Jerry said:

I have a pair in 6cf tuned at 35hz with 112 sq inches of port and it does very well. have them on 3k. Very loud for some 2.5 coils

Refs-Skip01, Jmanjr, goodie, DubbDesigns, joem1cha3l, Kawasaki STX-R, audiobahnuser18, djhn9, Jeeper09, cityboy21, sporty_drew, FLOSSINON24S, wong05tsx, thaster, Acizzle423, soloXgt, mobeious, Cloak559, ldyzlvudis06, pickup1

1 hour ago, TheFiverMan said:

I have a pair in 6cf tuned at 35hz with 112 sq inches of port and it does very well. have them on 3k. Very loud for some 2.5 coils

So I should be good with 7 cubes and 130 sq inches of port. 

It seems like every online calculator is the same for port length but it comes up short in Winisd. Like if the calculator says 16” for 35hz , when I enter specs in Winisd and go to vent it’ll show 21” for port

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

20 minutes ago, tat2Jerry said:

So I should be good with 7 cubes and 130 sq inches of port. 

It seems like every online calculator is the same for port length but it comes up short in Winisd. Like if the calculator says 16” for 35hz , when I enter specs in Winisd and go to vent it’ll show 21” for port

7ft3 with 130in2 at 16" long?... man... that's probably in the in the 40's.

I'm betting 7ft3 with 130in2 of port ought to be around 30" I believe offhand

Are you sure everything is being done correctly?

Or are you just noticing a difference?

Edited by shredder2

7ft3 with 130in2 at 16" long?... man... that's probably in the in the 40's.

I'm betting 7ft3 with 130in2 of port ought to be around 30" I believe offhand

Are you sure everything is being done correctly?

Or are you just noticing a difference?

I haven’t built enclosure yet, just in design stage, but I’m noticing that the online port calculators aren’t correct, thinking about calling sundown directly because when I tune to 38hz on Winisd my output jumps up a lot 

94 Jeep Cherokee XJ

1 funky pup 10" free air

1 100 watt Jensen amp

204 db in kick  outlaw

Winisd uses t/s parameters... youll see a predicted response.... calcs don't.  Its true a slightly higher tune will most likely have a bit more output and even more pronounced in a vehicle probably. 

But its at the expense of extension... 37-38hz is not too bad tho and unless you combine that with a big volume it shouldn't be too peaky in my experience and still have decent extension.

I always model and try to find what compromise works best without limiting output. 

I just re-did a design for an xtr2500 on 2 Sa-15's that I was planning for the S-10 Blazer I had that got wrecked.... a 37hz tune in 9ft3.

After modeling it up again I was suprised how nicely it did.. so I drew it up.

uEmVdL.jpg

Looks like that higher tune will still get down a bit and have some decent output... I  miss that Blazer

I've tried Sundown's contact several times lately and gotten no response... I hope you have better luck

Edited by shredder2

You need about 33.5 inches of port length for a tune of 35hz with 138sq inches of opening and 7cf. 

Bass Box Pro, Winisd and the12volt.com are going to give you the most accurate results. 

giphy.gif

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this