How to go about choosing a head unit, and if I can self-install

Participant count
  • Participant list

xzero1134

Hello!

I own a 2013 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T.

I want to replace the head unit. I've done regular stereos in older cars before, but this time I want something more modern, and I have a lot of questions - mainly how to find what I want, and if I can pull off doing it myself.

How to pick:

I don't care about SXM and NAV. I do care about touch screen, bluetooth, and backup camera. (and if it has andriod auto that would be awesome) I'm looking for a head unit that can do all three. For bluetooth, I read it won't work with the car's default setup - so that's something I want to clarify.

I don't really care if I use the car's blue tooth or not, but I'm wondering if it can be done where I can still use my voice activation BUTTON (doesn't have to be hyundai's menu) and mic. Basically, I don't want to have to hookup an external mic with wires all over the place to use my BT.

If someone could even post some links on some good head units that would fit this criteria, that would be great!

For installation, that depends on if it's any more complicated then it used to be. I know I need an installation kit, but also an adapter to use the BlueTooth. I don't know if that's a more complicated install. That, and the backup camera - I don't know if there's wireless versions, or if I have to run a wire to the back of my car (I've seen one where it just rests on your license plate.) That may be a bit above my skill level, but maybe not - just wondering if it's hard to do.

I'd like to know what kind of head unit I should choose, because when it comes to car modifications it's cheaper to order one and have someone install it than to buy the unit from them - they mark it up. Plus, I can't look at reviews to see if it's even a good head unit.

Any info on all this is appreciated! Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.