Classic Car Stereo Issues

Participant count
  • Participant list

eseel

I am looking to put a new system into a 76 corvette. I want the system to be a shaft style unit so I am not cutting into the dash. There are companies like Custom Autosound that make systems to fit but from the forums I am hearing they are poorly built units so you are paying a lot for nothing. What I would like to know is if I am going to be running an external amp, does the quality of the head unit matter?

I have two choices; 1- buy a vintage (80's) shaft style unit from a well known company like Alpine and add an amp to help with the sound quality. With this choice I am limited to the number of current day technologies I can add such as MP3/ SD/ USB/ bluetooth etc.

The second choice is to buy a current day unit from a company like Pyle (https://www.pyleusa.com/am-fm-mpx-mp3-playback-w-usb-sd-aux-in-a-pair-of-4-speakers.html). These are extremely cheap receivers but have all the current bells and whistles.

Question - If I buy the cheap Pyle receiver can I make up for the poor quality receiver with quality amps and speakers?

Any help is much appreciated.

Just google classic car radio replacement and you'll get a handful of companies. The one and only benefit of going this route is that the radio will look stock or old fashioned. If you want to run aftermarket amps and a big system then just get a mainstream brand because they come with all the plug ins and hookups needed. We went with a Kenwood in our Viper powered Desoto because we wanted to use a 5ch amp and have usb, aux and bluetooth capabilities.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.