Sundown OG SA-12 vs Classic SA-12

Participant count
  • Participant list

Terrum
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Recruit
I'm back after a year and I look forward to hearing from some of the regulars on this forum or of course anyone else that wishes to give their input in this discussion.

I currently have a Sundown SA-12 D2 Classic in a custom box built by the lovely @Buck (it's been a while since we spoke - but I may hit you up soon for another design in the near future :cool:). I'm looking at potentially upgrading from 1 driver to 2 drivers and found a really good deal on some SA-12 Classics local to me in the UK.

I noticed however that the SA-12 Classic is rated for 750W, and the original SA-12 is rated for 1000W. So my questions are, is there any noticeable difference between the two? Is it better to spend out more on the original series to get that 250W boost? Does anyone have any experience with the two subs and can offer their best opinion?

I'd love to know if I should just stick with the SA Classic series or splash out on the original SA series if I'm going to get a better result, especially as I'm considering going from 1 driver to 2 drivers with a SALT-2 amp, after a 'Big 3' upgrade and possible alternator upgrade too of course.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much for reading :)

The 1000w SA-12 is the Version 2. Bigger 2.75" coil, larger motor, stronger spider, cone, and dual tinsel leads.

The "Original" SA would be the classic.
I appreciate the clarification. However I am still curious as to what the difference is between the two from a practical/audible perspective, and whether or not it is worth spending out more for the 250W difference.

If the difference between the Classic and V.2 subs are very little I might as well go for the local deal I found on the Classics, otherwise I'll wait for some V.2s to come available.

Buck isn't doing designs at the moment. Just a fyi OP.
Thanks for letting me know :)

However I am still curious as to what the difference is between the two from a practical/audible perspective, and whether or not it is worth spending out more for the 250W difference.
If you're not going to be running them up towards max rated power you may get more efficiency out of the smaller coil. All things equal assuming you build optimum box the difference won't be dramatic either way and may be inaudible. They'll be pretty similar one version to the next.

I have both drivers in the shop. The Sa classic is a very capable driver. With that being said, the Sa.v2 are totally different monsters all together. Better power handling, digs deeper on the low end and still sounds fantastic. Honestly you can not go wrong with either.

Now will the upgrade from 1 sa classic to a v2 be huge not really, but 2 Sa v2s will definatly be a big upgrade

Thank you both :) I'll probably wait it out for the SA-12 v.2s in that case. Always learning on this forum and I appreciate it so much as always!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...