Subwoofer chirps 3X when key goes in ignition and lightning bolt icon illuminates

Participant count
  • Participant list

Chalmers

Canada
Had my setup for a year now, car came with it so I have no idea if it's correct. Thought what the hell, let me post pictures of it and ask a second opinion or two. There are two amps, JH600 for the subs and MTX (doesn't matter it's not giving me issues) and there is a Stinger splitter for the power and ground cables.

I'm thinking maybe the cable length is too long, it sure looks like I could trim it back a little. Maybe the amp is starved for power.

Also an indicator that my amp may be on the brink is it stops working entirely on a really hot day and goes haywire making all kinds of random thumping sounds when I put the key in the ignition, so I have to try a couple of times to make it go away or unplug the sub completely.

I have a question as well - do hot amps draw more power? Or do they simply not function beyond a certain temp?

View attachment 26557534View attachment 26557535

I cut the ground cable slack by 1 1/2 foot and there was no change. Anyone ever use JH600 amps before? How do I know when it's broken?

Has it been this way since you have owned the vehicle? I'm not familiar with that particular amp, but I have never known of an amp that would have what you are describing as a "feature". Since one amp is working fine that means the voltage should be fine. I would verify with a meter before saying for sure that the power is good.

Are you using a factory head unit with a line out converter? It could be the remote wire or the converter.

Make sure all of your power connections are tight at both ends. This includes the power, ground, and remote.

It could just be that the amp is going also. If you switch the power, ground and remote between the two amps and the problem starts in the MTX then you know it is a wiring issue. If the problem stays in the other amp then you likely have a problem with that amp.

It's never chirped, but the chirping is coming from the sub.

Switching the wires is a good idea, I'll try that.

Today I left my car running to look at the amp itself, and the power indicator is on, but no fault indicator and I heard a high pitched squeal coming from the amp. And no sub activity. This is new to me.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.