Sundown 12s series A classic

Participant count
  • Participant list
Those are rated at 750RMS, the Fs is not particularly low at almost 34hz so any amp around 2000-3000 watts with a subsonic filter should do nicely. Most in that wattage will have a variable subsonic filter which you should set around 15-20hz depending on the slope. If you ever decide you want more, this amp is equipped to be use in tandem with another (linking the two). Here is a link to one on eBay. a really nice, Korean made DS18-EXL-P2500X1D (certified refurb w/3year warranty) for $369.00 or best offer, I would offer them $350.00 and they’ll probably take it. I bought this same amp from this guy, he’s a great seller and this is a really nice amp!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1553320004...d=link&campid=5335951755&toolid=20001&mkevt=1

The Taramps Bass 3K, (Brazilian), 3000 watt units are pretty hot tickets too. A bit of a step down in build quality from that of the Korean DS18's but plenty of power.

Amazon product ASIN B09YVT2P89

Last edited:

Everybody has their preferences. The DS18 line up has many different models, too many in my opinion. DS18 has 2 series that are exceptional, both Korean, the Hooligan and the EXL series. You pay for it. When you compare, best to compare the DS18 Brazilian lines to Taramps as that would be the comparative. Here is a great comparison on the differences put out by D4S.​

Brazilian Amplifiers​

Pros:
  • Cost
  • Small footprint
  • Efficient
Cons:
  • Voltage-sensitive
  • Cannot take abuse
  • Can be noisy

Korean Amplifiers​

Pros:
  • Overbuilt
  • Can take abuse
  • Large heat sinks
Cons:
  • Cost (sometimes)
  • Large footprint
  • Can be inefficient

In my experience, the abuse is on the sub amp and I’m not simply after raw power. I run all my .5 - 1 ohm stable amps at between 2-4 ohms and will buy twice to three times the power I need to do just that. My mazda build has the EXL2500 pusing 2 13" Focal 33v2's, (that's more than 2 1/2 times power needed), unless you run that amp at 4 ohms which is what I'm currently doing (1000watts at 4ohms). I don't wire the coils internally on my subs and use dual binding post (4post per terminal) exposed so that I have the option of running things at 4 or 1ohms at my fingertips. Here is a link to that article, it’s a quick read and sums up the differences pretty good.

Last edited:
Honestly, I've only used the DS18 Hooligans and the EXL's, been very happy with them too. Everyday there is something new or better, right? I was able to get the EXL2500 for $350.00, hard pressed to find a better “Korean” option at that price. My 2 cents…

Plus I wouldn't trust anything D4S says. Heck they can't even do customer service with any sort of decency. DS18 has a bad rep for a reason. While they have that Korean line 99% of the other stuff is cheap Chinese stuff. And a lot of their speakers are really harsh sounding at least all the ones I have heard in person.

Basically all those Korean amplifiers are pretty much the same if you look at the amplifier guts. Just a different name and different looking heat-sink is all. Especially the 2500 watt Korean.

And just because it's "korean" doesn't automatically mean quality...and there's a few 2300-2500w Korean board amps for less than a ds18exl...ruthless audio has a 2300 for $399 new

Well, generally speaking, I would agree. But that is like saying that PRV, Stetsom and Taramps are all the same. Similar maybe, but not the same. Brazil, Korea and China; all of them produce good and bad products. Knowing what you’re looking at and what you are willing to pay for it is the difference. While customer service is important, Personally, I rarely need (unlike noobs), assistance with what I am looking for and how to use it. I have no issues with the DS18EXL2500.1D amp at $350.00. It’s great deal. Most of what I found at that or the higher price points, were essentially the same designs, but for 2000 watt versions so I snagged this DS18 2500 watt version instead. The Hooligans are quite a bit more spendy so I wait for deals I can find on those. Would I look elsewhere at the regular $500.00 they want for the same EXL 2500.1D? Sure, always looking for the “best for less’ deal. It’s the reason I run Focal FPS or Audison amps (used to love Brax and Helix) for frt/rr SQ. Focal make some of the best amps out there across all their lines, and you usually pay to play! I just got 2 of the Focal FPS 2300RX display models essentially brand new for $299 each from woofers etc., could not pass it up! Even at $399, currently on eBay, I still consider them a bargain. I like some of the Taramps stuff, especially when thinking about watt per $$/quality stuff. I like a LOT of amps on the market. Talk about clones thogh, there must be 25 different 2000 watt rebranded Chinese amps on the market ranging in price from $199 to $399, all of the virtually identical save for tiffany RCA’s and variable Vs. fixed subsonic filters. The article was just for reference and it does cover the talking points well.

A lot of it is marketing, like the Critical Mass stuff out there, please! If they are not identical to the 1-2 to 1/3 priced Soundmagus amps I’ll eat my shirt! Don’t get me wrong, they “were” a great brand and are still well made. The manufacturer sold out to an eBay marketing company long ago but talk about a rip off, sheesh!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...