How to stop rear windshield/brake light flex?

TheFiverMan
10+ year member

:)
Ok I’ve been dealing with an issue for the past few months. I have 2016 Malibu with 2 12s subs firing into cabin and port to the side. The rear windshield and upper 3rd brake light flexes like crazy which caused the 3rd brake light seal to bust and leak water in through my trunk. Luckily the dealership fixed it because the car was under warranty still but I want my bass back but I don’t want to deal with that issue again though. Any suggestions on what I can do to avoid this from happening again?

i've had to re seal back windshield with silicone but never had a brake light like that but lots of silicone maybe the only answer.. idk if mating the rood and rear deck would much..

It's not a design made for bass

without reinforcing it somehow and risking voiding your warranty I think you're stuck

It's not a design made for bass
without reinforcing it somehow and risking voiding your warranty I think you're stuck
I wonder if I do a smaller setup like a single 12” in a 4th and port firing into the cab if I’ll have the same issue

I wonder if I do a smaller setup like a single 12” in a 4th and port firing into the cab if I’ll have the same issue
we have guy here with 2 re sxx 12's in 4th order ported through rear deck 2400rms in lexus, he says he has 0 rattles idk

If you can fire your ports forward thru an armrest hole and seal it off it should do away with any flex/vibration issues you are having. I'm running two 12's ported thru the ski pass in the rear seat and have no issues with the rear deck flexing.

There isn't to much you can do without voiding your warranty.

Use a shitload of butyl tape.

08622-lrg.jpg

I think I had a similar problem with my ol' 626 (built lightly)... I had a set of 15's trunk walled and the rear deck and glass bounced up and down so hard it loosened the rear window. I found the window leaking after goin' thru a carwash. I already had the 3rd brake light removed, the deck was 1.5" mdf and the cabin was sealed off... all I did was cut some bracing (2 pieces) to go from the top of the enclosure to tie into the rear deck underneath as far back as possible (I just used 2x4's). After I did that the bouncing was minimized and I got the glass resealed and never had any issues after that.

Idk if you problem is similar, but hopefully that helps.

You can throw the enclosure in the back seat rather than have it in the trunk until your warranty expires.Should just have roof and dash issues then

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.