XA5000 running temp

opethfan
10+ year member

Due to size constraints I will probably be putting in my Eclipse XA5000 instead of my Kicker zx700.5. When I used the Kicker in my Blazer it got pretty warm. I have had the Eclipse a few years but never got around to installing it in my other vehicle so I never used it. I am down to one vehicle now so I am trying to save cargo space where possible.Vehicle is a 2011 Rav4.Can anyone tell me if the XA5000 stays cool?I have space under the cargo area where spare tires usually are.I was entertaining the idea of putting the Eclipse there.I would not even think it with the Kicker.I also thought of under a back seat if it would fit.Would it be able to breathe there?I can always put it on the back of a back seat if I need to(this is where the Kicker is a tad too big). I will be running it to 2 sets of 4ohm Morels and a 2ohm Kicker sub.

The Eclipse should run cooler and sound better than the Kicker. I ran one for several years in a SQ build and it never got warm. It was in the trunk of a Dodge Caliber that had a black interior.

Do you think it would stay cool down under a rav4 cargo area or wouldn't you recommend it? Possibly under a seat if it would fit? if neither options work I will put it on back of back seat.I know the Kicker got quite warm so the Eclipse should be cooler. Sound was fine for me so if this sounds better awesome!

Have the Eclipse in. Sounds really good up front and in rear doors. Gains are about 35-40% and can't listen much over 30-35 out of 50 on volume. Having issues with the Sub. I know this amp is supposed to receive lower preamp outputs but I have the gain almost maxed out and sub still doesn't thump too much.Have to turn sub volume up to 6 out of 8 just for decent bass. I can turn on the "loud" feature on head unit but that just basically adds bass to everything for fuller sound at lower volumes. I am using an older JVC(kw-xg700) that says 2.5v preouts. Would I benefit from adding a line driver to the sub preouts? The Kicker had much better subwoofer response but I would rather stay with the Eclipse.

So since those pre outs are fairly low, the gain has to be turned up a little more than usual...like say a 4-5 volt pre outs. Does your HU have a separate subwoofer volume, like +15? My Alpine does...hope this makes sense. This is totally separate than the HU volume itself. Might need to call in an expert on this @Jeffdachef

It does have a subwoofer volume. It goes up to 8 I believe. With gain way up I still have to have subwoofer volume up to 6 or 7 to get tolerable bass. If I turn on the "loud" setting for lower volumes the sub sounds better but then there is more bass to everything from having the "loud" setting on. Maybe I am just used to the Kicker I have been using for the past few years. Lots of thump with that sub channel.

Have the Eclipse in. Sounds really good up front and in rear doors. Gains are about 35-40% and can't listen much over 30-35 out of 50 on volume. Having issues with the Sub. I know this amp is supposed to receive lower preamp outputs but I have the gain almost maxed out and sub still doesn't thump too much.Have to turn sub volume up to 6 out of 8 just for decent bass. I can turn on the "loud" feature on head unit but that just basically adds bass to everything for fuller sound at lower volumes. I am using an older JVC(kw-xg700) that says 2.5v preouts. Would I benefit from adding a line driver to the sub preouts? The Kicker had much better subwoofer response but I would rather stay with the Eclipse.
set the gain at 45 out of 50. you are barely using any pre out voltage at 35

Its just the gain knob on the eclipse is a lot less sensitive than the kicker or the exclipse has less clean power, most likely both.

What's the power rms on that Eclipse amp? Is it 75x2 @ 2 ohms and 450 rms for sub @ 4 ohms? Not having much luck finding info online.

Kicker amp: 4 ohms: 70 watts x 4 chan. + 210 watts x 1 Class D Sub channel

2 ohms: 85 watts x 4 chan. + 420 watts x 1 Class D Sub channel

So both are pretty close in wattages. Makes me wonder what's different when you had the Kicker hooked up and the Eclipse isn't doing anything compared to the Kicker

It's a decent amp and should stay nice and cool. Like Boomin said, set your head unit volume to 40-45 and the sub level on the head unit as high as it can go. Then set the gains.

Power Output: RMS @ 14.4 Volt

4 ohm - 50W x 4 + 300W x 1

2 ohm - 65W x 4 + 450W x 1

4 ohm bridged - 150W x 2

I had the volume at 40 and adjusted the gains. Much better now. I think the speaker gains were a bit too high.They were almost 50% now I have them just over 25%. Sub gain is just over 50% now as opposed to 80% or so. I had the sub volume on 7 out of 8 when setting.The kicker and Eclipse both have bass boost so there could be some issues there. I am not sure where the kicker was set and I am not really too sure on where to set the freq. and boost power on the eclipse. Also turned the sub 90 degrees. Does sound much better than before. May have to play around with the bass boost. Thanks for the help so far. Speakers(maximo 6 components and coaxials) sound quite nice. Also seems to run a little bit cooler with the gains down.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.