Monoblock has two inputs

Participant count
  • Participant list

Based

CarAudio.com Elite
Louisiana
Ok I know that they are not separate channels. But i need something clarified.

My friend has 2 DVC 2 ohm subs. And his amp has 2 sets of speaker inputs. What I thought this meant was I could wire each sub down to 1 ohm then put them into each of the speaker inputs and the load would be one ohm. But then his amp started smoking. So I thought it was a ground issue because the ground WAS loose and the wire was hot so we got a better ground location and better bolt to not come loose. I set the gains for him and it seemed to be good.

Now that I'm thinking about it, does the amp internally wire down the two speaker inputs in parallel, making it half ohm? Or is it still 1 ohm? To make it clear, I have each sub at 1 ohm, and each set of wires going to each of the inputs.

I'm thinking the amp overheated because it's at half ohm. He doesn't have a DMM so he can't check until we meet tomorrow.

What's the amp?

Some mono amps are split internally to give the user/owner more flexability for the amp in case they wanna hook up 2 subs instead of one.

Sounds like that amp wasn't liking the 1/2 stable it was fed.

What's the amp?
Some mono amps are split internally to give the user/owner more flexability for the amp in case they wanna hook up 2 subs instead of one.

Sounds like that amp wasn't liking the 1/2 stable it was fed.
Audio pipe apcl 1500

Pretty sure that amp is only 1 ohm stable. I'm not too familiar with that brand, haven't had one but read enough where people say ok budget amps, while others say they hate them.

Back to the issue, how big of wire was going to that amp? You said the ground wire was hot too touch, which leads me to think too small of wire was used. And yes, the loose ground is a big problem. That amp may not be good now.

I know that it isn't half ohm stable. I just don't know if I'm at half ohm or not. The ground bolt was very loose and the wire was hot. The wire is 4 gauge ofc.

He had bass boost all the way up and gain 75% and bass all the way up on his HU. After the amp overheated I turned bass boost down all the way, his bass flat on HU, and I set the gain with -7.5 tone.

Yup...clipped the **** out of it. Bad ground, gain not set correctly to begin with=smoked amp.
Whenever I get dvc confusion esp multiple subs wiring, I refer to this chart....

JL Audio » header » Support » Tutorials » Tutorial: Wiring Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Subwoofer Drivers

So you got 2 choices of 2 ohm or 1/2 ohm for final wiring to the amp.
Oh yeah he was clipping it hard lol. It was playing good until we played a song with a low 30s hz note then it just went smokey...

I will help him rewire to 2 ohm so he doesn't blow the amp. I think with the amp at low gain like I have it it will be ok

Yeah it's ok. He was playing it on his way out. I kind of feel bad for wiring his **** wrong and almost losing the amp but oh well at least I know the problem now. I guess I was correct in thinking that the amp wires it parallel on the inside. Like 2 1 ohm subs going into the amp it wires those two one ohm loads in parallel to half ohm. I guess that means it will be at one ohm if I give it 2 2 ohm loads.

As I said, use that chart for the wiring and get everything situated. 2 ohms is the best for now on that amp. It's not gonna be loud.....but also will be safe on that amp.

Must be a bulletproof amp if it survived a smokeshow.

As I said, use that chart for the wiring and get everything situated. 2 ohms is the best for now on that amp. It's not gonna be loud.....but also will be safe on that amp.
Must be a bulletproof amp if it survived a smokeshow.
Yeah I will use my DMM to see what it is actually wired to.

It only smoked for a second or two. When the low note hit I immediately smelled it and said turn it down and we looked back and yup there was smoke. So we just drove back to my house and fixed the ground and it was good.

yes what ever ohm u have a sub wired to if double # of subs the ohm cuts in 1/2.. so 1 2 ohm add 2nd is 1 ohm.. if 4 ohm add 2nd it's 2 ohm and he could add 2 more 4 ohm = 1 ohm

yes what ever ohm u have a sub wired to if double # of subs the ohm cuts in 1/2.. so 1 2 ohm add 2nd is 1 ohm.. if 4 ohm add 2nd it's 2 ohm and he could add 2 more 4 ohm = 1 ohm
I believe I've already answered that.

Yeah it's my fault. I thought that somehow I could wire 2 DVC 2 ohm subs down to 1 ohm instead of half ohm. But that would imply that the monoblock amp had two channels instead of just one that wires in parallel inside the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.