battery isolators worth it?

Participant count
  • Participant list

thatguy12
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I am about to be starting my new build, and I'm wondering if this round I should use battery isolators between all my batteries? I have a shuriken bt80 up front, and two crsendo group 31s in the rear. Should I put a couple 100 amp hour battery isolators between all the batteries? Here different opinions on it.

They're all AGM's so I say definitely not unless you play your system with the car off, which I don't recommend anyways.

Battery isolators are a waste of money imo. Instead, invest some cash in a good float charger that will extend the life of your batteries.

Thats what i was leaning to, but then you have those folks who really believe they extend life. What would you say is a good float charger for the price? Never done any research on them. Honestly don't even know what they're lol

isolators are for highly dissimilar batteries, and yes they do extend their life. in this situation, like adulbrich said, they're all similar AGM's so you're fine without an isolator.

I ran 1 batcap 3k up front and 3 100 ah powerwares in the rear, all just straight connected to each other. No problems, good voltage with the alt I had. I think it's a waste of money, just more complications.

The issue that is is that some batteries will rest at say 12.7 and some at 12.8. The 12.7 will pull down the 12.8 to try and match voltage but in my experience it's not a huge deal unless you have some terrible front battery that is at like 12.0v.

I had 3 batcap 2k's and one of them died (like 5v or something), and the other 3 batcaps I had weren't damaged. So overall, no, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm sooo confused , lol.

Bottom line is, don't get a bateery isolator, get a float charger instead.

Mine was like $100 on ebay. I'd have to search for the link anpther day

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.