Review my 4th order build

Participant count
  • Participant list

nathanprice

Alabama
Before I build my 4th order, can someone look at it and see if there is anything I need to change? Thanks in advance!

QAvOaWL.png

3:1 ratio:

3ft³ ported chamber

1ft³ sealed chamber

Double baffle

Subs are going to be reverse mounted so that I will be able to smell them.

Ports are 5"x5"x7" tuned to ~45hz

Looks good what are your plans for bracing? What subs and amp u gonna run
I am going to use a 1" dowel in each ported chamber, displacements have been calculated. I am going to run my current subs and amp until I save up for an upgrade.

I currently have 2 Kicker Comp 12" and a Skar LP-100.2

nice efficient little build. Dont think those comps will need a double baffle though unless you plan on upgrading subs in the future. Did you plot out the box resonance for the sealed portion or are you just tuning to 45 because of recommendations?

nice efficient little build. Dont think those comps will need a double baffle though unless you plan on upgrading subs in the future.
Haha, I don't think they do either, but yeah, i plan on upgrading them eventually.

Did you plot out the box resonance for the sealed portion?
Not sure what you mean, elaborate please?

Haha, I don't think they do either, but yeah, i plan on upgrading them eventually.

Not sure what you mean, elaborate please?
each subwoofer will have different resonant frequencies in sealed boxes depending on the size of the sealed box. for 4th orders you need to adjust the sealed portion so that your resonance lies somewhere within 45hz to 50hz then you test your cabin gain and vehicle transfer function with an spl meter and then tune the port to that peak for max performance.

each subwoofer will have different resonant frequencies in sealed boxes depending on the size of the sealed box. for 4th orders you need to adjust the sealed portion so that your resonance lies somewhere within 45hz to 50hz then you test your cabin gain and vehicle transfer function with an spl meter and then tune the port to that peak for max performance.
I have not done that, is it extremely important?

if you want max performance yes. If you just want a 4th order that works then go ahead but projected sound quality and spl will be a crapshoot.
Use winisd.
I have used WinISD and this is what i got. per speaker

V76Pyj2.png

both added together:

klnGBG4.png

not sure if that is good or bad

It will be a bit peaky but the comps aren't really ideal 4th order subs so I wouldn't worry about it. Either make it so you can take that whole front face off, or just pull out the ports to adjust them. Playing around with port lengths and sizes helps a lot. Your best bet is to do some trial and error if you don't have the equipment to get the design 100% right the first time.

It will be a bit peaky but the comps aren't really ideal 4th order subs so I wouldn't worry about it. Either make it so you can take that whole front face off, or just pull out the ports to adjust them. Playing around with port lengths and sizes helps a lot. Your best bet is to do some trial and error if you don't have the equipment to get the design 100% right the first time.
I expected to be adjusting the ports, so I am using threaded inserts to be able to remove and replace the face. I am using the kickers because a ran across them for a deal: 2 kicker 12" in a prefab ported box for $85.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.