Please help subs heating up with minimal play time.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Boulevardvette

This post may be long but I could really use some help. My sub stage consists of:

2013 Ram Crew

Pioneer AVH-X4700BS (volume at max listening between 30-32)

Crescendo S1500.1

2 Sundown SA12D4 wired at 1ohm

Fox Acoustics box 1.55 cubic feet per sub tuned at 35 hz

Stock 180 amp alternator

Big 4 2/0 welding cable

KnuKoncepts KCA 1/0 to amp

I can be playing some hard hitting rap/hip hop or decaf for five minutes or less and the subs will heat up and the dust cap will be pretty hot to the touch and if I push it for much longer i can smell the coils getting hot. The gain on the amp it set bewteen the quarter and halfway point with the bass boost at 0. If I turn the gain down anymore I don't get near the output I would like. The truck idles at around 14.3 volts and usually doesn't drop under 13 on hard bass hits. The level and bass boost on the deck are also set to 0. I have checked voltage at the amp and it is pretty much identical to the battery and the read out on my bully dog. Could the under seat encloser be causing this? I have tried playing it with the seat up or down with no change. All grounds have been checked and are good. One thing to mention is I use to have a Sundown SAE-1000D that did the same thing, but I thought it was just because I had to have the gain up pretty good with some bass boost to get good output. I am at a loss right know and would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Honestly just by listening. But have it turned down even more in an attempt to keep the subs somewhat cool. I don't have access to a dd1 or an oscope right now. I need to try and set it with my dmm but feel like something else is wrong.

Well either buy some higher end woofers or just turn things down when they get smelly. SA12 is rated for 750W so you're attempting to run them to their limits.

I have been looking for a new set of subs but mounting depth is an issue and I have to keep this box for now till the little one gets out of the car seat. With gain down this low how am I pushing the subs to their limit? I don't see how I could even be near the 1500 watts rms of the amp with the gain so low. Thanks for the reply.

The gain on the amp it set bewteen the quarter and halfway point with the bass boost at 0. If I turn the gain down anymore I don't get near the output I would like.
You are most likely clipping something,and to get the output you want you probaly need a more powerful amp.but not much,maybe 2k

I have been looking for a new set of subs but mounting depth is an issue and I have to keep this box for now till the little one gets out of the car seat. With gain down this low how am I pushing the subs to their limit? I don't see how I could even be near the 1500 watts rms of the amp with the gain so low. Thanks for the reply.
Gain doesn't work like a volume knob. Don't feel bad is a common misconception. You could have your gain a quarter of the way up and you could be clipping. It's all install dependant.

I tuned the amp this morning with a dmm, I set it to 1350 rms of output which ended up being about a quarter of the way up on the gain knob. I set my ssf at 30 too as recommended on another forum. I did have to turn the bass boost up a bit to get decent output from the subs, I know this might not be the right way to do it, but the subs are not getting hot and sound pretty good. Thanks for the help.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.