Car shop trying to screw me.

EFD307

New York
Had a quote for a system install at $525.00 guy just called me back to say it's finished and is telling me I owe him $843.00 I'm going in to argue it, they charged me for something I didn't agree too. Is this common with small shops? They needed speaker adapter plates, speaker wire and some RCA cables, only extra parts, they estimated that to be a 55$ charge on my first quote. Anyone have experiance with a shop trying to do this? Any advice other than I should have done it myself?

Do you have a written quote? Was their quote labor only? They may not be screwing you and it's just a misunderstanding. Being nice will get you much farther, faster than throwing a fit. What did you have done?

I've had a problem with that once in a small shop near me. Charged me such and such price for my install (had all the parts) then wait two hours and they tell me the box I had doesn't fit and I told them you have to take the back seats out to put it in. We'll granted it is my fault for not telling them that but I also didn't think I had to since they have been in business for 30+ years and do a lot of business with high profile people. Needless to say they charged me another 100 just to take the seats out and put the box in and put the seats back in. But yeah I'd say it's common depending on location.

Had a quote for a system install at $525.00 guy just called me back to say it's finished and is telling me I owe him $843.00 I'm going in to argue it, they charged me for something I didn't agree too. Is this common with small shops? They needed speaker adapter plates, speaker wire and some RCA cables, only extra parts, they estimated that to be a 55$ charge on my first quote. Anyone have experiance with a shop trying to do this? Any advice other than I should have done it myself?
Did you sign anything for being agreed upon? If so, you need to read it carefully..See where you stand..Other than that.. Id tell them to Go Fvck themselves,as the agreement stands

Yes though .. being nice goes a long way as stated..Being in business,they quote,but yet, not a final billing..quote is a quote/estimation..Problems do arise,and need to be addressed before further work is continued and agreed upon.

I'd think a reputable ANY KIND OF SHOP would call you before they start spending more money if something comes up. The fact that they didn't know what was needed up-front to give you an accurate estimate leads me to suspect that they aren't very competent. Good luck, bro.

Yup read the estimate form. Because some DO say "by signing here i acknoledge this is just an estimate and not a final bill, there may be additional charges which i agree to pay"

as an installer, i always over quote time and cost of work. if by some odd chance I didn't find something that needed to be added from the start, I always find out exactly what I need and how much it's going to be for my work than call my client immediately to let them know. even if things are going well mid way through, I call my client to let them know what's going on if the car is with me for more than one day. no paper work so no liability to pay but be careful that you don't give those guys time to rip your car to pieces to get their stuff out.

What was the outcome? How did they do?

Some people do not know how to read. A quote is just that....a quote. It gives them and you a general idea of a price for the work to be performed. It also states on the invoice that charges may apply if some thing(s) are needed for them to complete the job. Now weather it's in the place's policy to contact that person to let them know an additional 50 bucks is needed because they need some special part that needs to be ordered, would and should be their top priority to let the customer know. It's not just car audio...a lot of places do this.

If I were in your shoes, I would remain calm and not cause a ruckus until you find out what they charged you an additional 300+ bucks because it can just make the situation worse.

I have heard also shops using their best say for example, top of the line RCA's when the low budget ones do just as good....and won't notice an audioable difference. That I would get pissed about. Then they would tell you well these are better yada yada yada....heard it all. At that point, their just trying to sell you crap you don't necessarily need.

as an installer, i always over quote time and cost of work. if by some odd chance I didn't find something that needed to be added from the start, I always find out exactly what I need and how much it's going to be for my work than call my client immediately to let them know. even if things are going well mid way through, I call my client to let them know what's going on if the car is with me for more than one day. no paper work so no liability to pay but be careful that you don't give those guys time to rip your car to pieces to get their stuff out.
This is how good, reputable shops work and ones that I've had business with.

I'm not an installer, but I have done installs and friends work for different install shops. As stated, it is a quote and most, if decent, the shop will call you prior to just throwing stuff in and then telling you the new total afterwards.

Some people do not know how to read. A quote is just that....a quote. It gives them and you a general idea of a price for the work to be performed. It also states on the invoice that charges may apply if some thing(s) are needed for them to complete the job. Now weather it's in the place's policy to contact that person to let them know an additional 50 bucks is needed because they need some special part that needs to be ordered, would and should be their top priority to let the customer know. It's not just car audio...a lot of places do this.
If I were in your shoes, I would remain calm and not cause a ruckus until you find out what they charged you an additional 300+ bucks because it can just make the situation worse.

I have heard also shops using their best say for example, top of the line RCA's when the low budget ones do just as good....and won't notice an audioable difference. That I would get pissed about. Then they would tell you well these are better yada yada yada....heard it all. At that point, their just trying to sell you crap you don't necessarily need.
A quote could also be verbal so saying someone doesn't know how to read is kind of messed up and not neccasarry. Even if it was a written quote how do you know it contained that line of text?

Also, I'd understand a few bucks over the quote but they literally went 50% over without consulting the customer? Obviously they had no "general idea" what it would cost. Bad business imo.

I know I wouldn't be back unless they had a great explanation for not contacting me with the additional cost. Especially $300 extra dollars.

A quote could also be verbal so saying someone doesn't know how to read is kind of messed up and not neccasarry. Even if it was a written quote how do you know it contained that line of text?

Also, I'd understand a few bucks over the quote but they literally went 50% over without consulting the customer? Obviously they had no "general idea" what it would cost. Bad business imo.

I know I wouldn't be back unless they had a great explanation for not contacting me with the additional cost. Especially $300 extra dollars.
Again, SOME people don't read the fine print. Yes they may tell you in person but also required to have it written as well. Just like everything else. The microscopic fine print on a lot of things is where a lot of people get "screwed" the most. Because they didn't read it. It's a trick really imo, iirc. The surprised looks on some people's faces when they're told the truth....well where does it say that? Right at the bottom, the fine print.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

EFD307

EFD307
New York
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Godzilla311