speaker clearance

Participant count
  • Participant list

blowthemup
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Instead of the usual mounting depth problem I was wondering how much room you should allow for the speaker to move in and out on the front side between the speaker and door panel. Installing some new speakers and its a tight fit, was wondering if a 1/4" is enough?

I had the same issue when installing RE XXX components in my doors, I needed up using a Dremel tool to remove some of the ring that isolates the speaker from the rest of the door panel, it gave me just enough room for the speakers to throw freely.

Yeah I removed a good 1/2" to 3/4" plastic ring that protruded from the speaker grille on the inside of the door panel. This gained me some clearance, however my door panel is flush against the speaker after putting it back on. No room for the speaker to move in and out is a no no so I figured I would open up the door (sheet metal) a little and push the speakers in a 1/4" and use less of a spacer. Currently have a 1.25" spacer for the ctx65cs to fit the stock speaker whole so I can probably get away with a 3/4'' ring if I trim the sheet metal to the required opening for my new speaker. Was trying to mount them without cutting the car up but looks like its my only option if I want a decent aftermarket speaker.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.