New 15 inch sub setup/recommendations

not_loud_enough
10+ year member

Hey guys. I'm going to do a new setup in my 2004 jeep wrangler lj. I got plenty of room in the back. I've fit a 3.5 cube box with no problem for my 15 inch alpine type r but it died after 2 years of constant pounding.

I just picked up a audiopipe ap15001d that will run anywhere from 1000 to 1500 watts at 1 ohm.

I'm looking for a sub that will blow the 15 inch type r away. Something louder that will slay the lows for my dubstep and rap music.

Only want to spend $400 max on sub.

I can build my own box. I have the big 3 upgrade and 0 gage wire going to the amp.

Any suggestion is appreciated!

I was looking at the sundown sa 15. It's 600w. People say that it can take double the power and it's only $230. Anyone have good luck running that???
Sundown subs have a great reputation. I'm sure it "could" take double, but I wouldn't suggest making it a daily habit.

Sundown subs have a great reputation. I'm sure it "could" take double, but I wouldn't suggest making it a daily habit.
it'll take double bro. Literally made for it. though 230 for a single sa-15 is more absurd than the power handling... i'd be more worried about that.

it'll take double bro. Literally made for it. though 230 for a single sa-15 is more absurd than the power handling... i'd be more worried about that.
I have no doubt about what the Subdown product is capable of. But I do caution people about exceeding what is recommended by the manufacturer, especially when they are doubling the stated rms. a burp, sure. Occasionally, ok. Daily, not if you expect the warranty to be good.

Again, this has nothing to do with what the Sundown sub can do, it's a generalization for all brands based on my own experiences.

$230 is the new price from dealer last i checked...seems reasonable

I have no doubt about what the Subdown product is capable of. But I do caution people about exceeding what is recommended by the manufacturer, especially when they are doubling the stated rms. a burp, sure. Occasionally, ok. Daily, not if you expect the warranty to be good. Again, this has nothing to do with what the Sundown sub can do, it's a generalization for all brands based on my own experiences.

you're afraid people can't afford one of the cheapest recones available on the market? ( apart from E and SD series i'm sure )..

$230 is the new price from dealer last i checked...seems reasonable
refer to above post, for near the same amount you could get two of the exact same woofer used... OR...

a single one and afford several recones for it should you decide to run it "double" rms..

who the hell buys new?

Sundown Audio X-15 1250W X Series - SSA STORE sub for pure lows.
SoundQubed HDC315 Copper Coil Subwoofer - SSA STORE another good choice.

with any of these subs, you'll need more power then that audiopipe can provide so you might have to compensate by making the box bigger and more efficient. Right around 4.5-5 cubic feet not counting displacement, port area etc..
Best answer you're gonna get. Thread should have ended here. I'd buy the hds 315 (less than half budget). Then use the left over funds to buy a better amp. Shouldn't be too hard for $200 in the classifieds.

Sundown Audio X-15 1250W X Series - SSA STORE sub for pure lows.
SoundQubed HDC315 Copper Coil Subwoofer - SSA STORE another good choice.

with any of these subs, you'll need more power then that audiopipe can provide so you might have to compensate by making the box bigger and more efficient. Right around 4.5-5 cubic feet not counting displacement, port area etc..
Best answer you're gonna get. Thread should have ended here. I'd buy the hds 315 (less than half budget). Then use the left over funds to buy a better amp. Shouldn't be too hard for $200 in the classifieds.

If you have the room then the HDC3 would be nice. If you can only go around 3.5net then a FI Q would work very well. I've run both of those subs in numerous enclosures.

Q more pronounced on the low end, HDC3 will have more punch...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.