Android Tablet in Car?

shadowmyst87

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LT. Everything in it is factory, I've wanted to replace the stereo for years but never got around to it.

I was actually in the process of buying a double din in dash dvd head unit until I saw a video on YouTube where someone replaced their stereo with an Android tablet!

Ever since then I've been intrigued. I put off buying a new stereo until I've looked more into this topic.

So I have a double din opening where the factory stereo currently sits. I'm looking at the Nexus 7 and if my measurements are correct it should fit. But I have a whole set of questions that I'm currently scratching me head at.

Dilemmas

- Connecting the tablet to the car's audio system

Option 1: I'm wondering if it would just be easier to buy a single din head unit and mount it somewhere else like the gloves box and just connect the tablet to that.

Option 2: I've read alot of Android tablet projects here on the forums and watched several install videos where people have connected the tablet directly to the car's audio replacing the head unit altogether. I like this setup because it eliminates the need for a head unit but I have to admit the process of actually connecting everything together looks daunting.

I'm not sure if there's one right way to do this but it seems like some people like to use EQ's, some use signal processors, and some dont use either one and just connect the tablet directly to an amp. So what's the best way? I want the best and clearest sound I can possibly get.

- Factory steering wheel controls and chimes

So my car has steering wheel controls, now I've recently heard about the joycon so that takes care of the steering wheel controls.

Something I'm not really sure about is my car's chimes, turn signal, and various other sound that it makes. How would I be able to retain this with a tablet replacement? Metra makes a Factory Integration Adapter that allows my car to retain RAP and safety warning chimes for aftermarket stereo installs. However, I won't be having an aftermarket stereo so how could I use this adapter with a tablet?

I've going back and forth between buying a tablet or buying a in dash dvd stereo. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks

I wanted to go this route too, but it seems a bit complicated than it sounds
I agree, I'd still like to do it. It's just a matter of figuring everything out and choosing the right kind of install. I'm surprised there hasn't been a double din head unit with Android made yet, and I'm not talking about those cheap Chinese devices.

android's(samsung, kindle, google tab etc's) built in sound processor is pretty ****** so depending on your perception of sound quality, you might be okay with it or if your picky with the sound, you'll not be satisfied compared to a sound quality oriented head unit. Only way to combat that is with a digital sound processor which costs 2-3X more then a good head unit.

Apple Devices actually have much better Digital audio converters built in so you can get away with hooking that straight up to an amp without losing as much sound quality. That is if you dont have a subwoofer in your system. If you do, you can just get away with installing a clarion eqs764 which has auxillary input and enough RCAs for a 4 channel amp and sub amp.

as for the dash kit, hit this guy up to see if he can make a good fit for your vehicle.

Soundman - iPad Vehicle Integration just need to make a hole for the aux input

a video of his kits getting installed

all in all, its easier to just get a good head unit since you have EQ options, time alignment, Active 2/3 way, crossover control, cd, usb, bluetooth etc.. capabilities with better sound quality and its lighter on your pocket.

android's(samsung, kindle, google tab etc's) built in sound processor is pretty ****** so depending on your perception of sound quality, you might be okay with it or if your picky with the sound, you'll not be satisfied compared to a sound quality oriented head unit. Only way to combat that is with a digital sound processor which costs 2-3X more then a good head unit.
Apple Devices actually have much better Digital audio converters built in so you can get away with hooking that straight up to an amp without losing as much sound quality. That is if you dont have a subwoofer in your system. If you do, you can just get away with installing a clarion eqs764 which has auxillary input and enough RCAs for a 4 channel amp and sub amp.

as for the dash kit, hit this guy up to see if he can make a good fit for your vehicle.

Soundman - iPad Vehicle Integration just need to make a hole for the aux input

a video of his kits getting installed

Thats a clean install but since you dont have too much room to work with, you can just have an aftermarket head unit in the normal position where you old on was, have your climate the same position also. Have the android mounted on the top of it or over it with a tablet mount you can buy anywhere wont look as clean but it'll work just fine. Not sure on the bypassing functionality though but i'm sure the higher end single dins have that feature, make sure to contact alpine, kenwood, pioneer's Customer/technical service and confirm it before buying one.

I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu LT. Everything in it is factory, I've wanted to replace the stereo for years but never got around to it.
I was actually in the process of buying a double din in dash dvd head unit until I saw a video on YouTube where someone replaced their stereo with an Android tablet!

Ever since then I've been intrigued. I put off buying a new stereo until I've looked more into this topic.

So I have a double din opening where the factory stereo currently sits. I'm looking at the Nexus 7 and if my measurements are correct it should fit. But I have a whole set of questions that I'm currently scratching me head at.

Dilemmas

- Connecting the tablet to the car's audio system

Option 1: I'm wondering if it would just be easier to buy a single din head unit and mount it somewhere else like the gloves box and just connect the tablet to that.

Option 2: I've read alot of Android tablet projects here on the forums and watched several install videos where people have connected the tablet directly to the car's audio replacing the head unit altogether. I like this setup because it eliminates the need for a head unit but I have to admit the process of actually connecting everything together looks daunting.

I'm not sure if there's one right way to do this but it seems like some people like to use EQ's, some use signal processors, and some dont use either one and just connect the tablet directly to an amp. So what's the best way? I want the best and clearest sound I can possibly get.

- Factory steering wheel controls and chimes

So my car has steering wheel controls, now I've recently heard about the joycon so that takes care of the steering wheel controls.

Something I'm not really sure about is my car's chimes, turn signal, and various other sound that it makes. How would I be able to retain this with a tablet replacement? Metra makes a Factory Integration Adapter that allows my car to retain RAP and safety warning chimes for aftermarket stereo installs. However, I won't be having an aftermarket stereo so how could I use this adapter with a tablet?

I've going back and forth between buying a tablet or buying a in dash dvd stereo. What are the pros and cons of each?

Thanks
I've also been intrigued About this, but I've never tried it because I think the music will loose a lot of sound quality.

What's wrong with the parrot? It's everything you want has android even a slimmed down Android market with just apps for your car i know it is a lil pricey though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.