LOC? (Line Out Converter)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Motokid
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
UPDATE-UPDATE-UPDATE

Okay, So I just went to a local shop.. They're probably the best in my area.. The guy has a youtube channel too, "Twistedchild420" There is a place locally that makes Definitive Audio Design subs, or something DAD For short. They have 3 different lines, AMH, KMH, BD series.. Im looking at going with the KMH Series.. Basically I was looking at 2 8's or 1 12.. or 1 10.. But then he brought up about the 15.. just because it isn't much more in price, along with an Alpine amp, which pushes a little more then what the sub requires, which is 500 watt rms max or something.. I've youtubed it, and from what they've said it's a pretty good sub.. Basically I need everything. A box, sub, amp, wiring, Line out converter, and preferably them to install it because I just bought a 2011 Chrysler 200, and I don't want to get into anything without professions doing it.. In the end, he said everything I need, with a 15, would be about $750 out the door. I can't decide if that's a decent deal or not.. Sure I can find a cheaper amp online, but i'd like to try out these brand of subs.

Hey guys, I'm back..

First off I wanted to say THANK YOU! To everyone who gave me a ton of advice, and helped me in my previous thread "What would you do" With my 3000GT Helping me figure out what subs to use, amp, who to design a box, wiring, everything I needed to know! You guys are awesome, problem is 1 week ago I totaled the car LOL So that idea is out the freaking door!

Anyways, point is I just got a 2011 Chrysler 200.. I love it! Also it has MASSIVE trunk space, but.. I still love the idea of my last thread, and still want to try the 2 AB VFL 8's, but.. to the point of the thread. It has a stock Headunit (Of course) which is awesome, I love it. It is touch screen, has everything I want, problem is apparently there are NO sub outputs on the back of it.. what do I do? GOOGLE! I read that people were having to use LOC's (line out converters) to tap into the rear speakers to be able to wire their amp and what not..

So my question is, who has used a LOC before, is it worth spending a lot of money on? For instance a cheap one is like $20.. will that be okay? or would it be best to buy a 'good' one for around $150.. I'd love to do anything to keep my stock HU, and add some new subs to it, but like everything else, nothing is simple, at all..

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:
i'd suggest an headunit upgrade over any LOC... but if you must use a LOC there worth spending a bit more on so you can have some sort of adjustments on them

Buy a MS8 for stock integration. You get a high quality LOC for external amps, clean power for the stock system, oh and did I forget to mention TIME ALIGNMENT, 31band EQ and loads of goodies... can be had used for $300. well worth the investment

Buy a MS8 for stock integration. You get a high quality LOC for external amps, clean power for the stock system, oh and did I forget to mention TIME ALIGNMENT, 31band EQ and loads of goodies... can be had used for $300. well worth the investment
Just looked up the MS8, About $450 on amazon, most places around $800.. Super ****** piece of equipment, but much more than I should spend when my whole system is around $800 for an amp/subs/box :/

Just looked up the MS8, About $450 on amazon, most places around $800.. Super ****** piece of equipment, but much more than I should spend when my whole system is around $800 for an amp/subs/box :/
its a transferable piece of equipment, BUT if you just want a LOC, look for one that has dedicated gain pots. some that offer a 12v powered option to boost the signal will introduce static into the signal. so be careful.

If the bass gets cut as you turn up the volume a $15 LOC is not adequate. For subwoofer use, if volume dependent bass compensation is not needed, an expensive LOC is hard to justify. Better options are the AudioControl LC2i or Cache C-LOD+. If you decide to add a speaker amplifier you'll need something bigger.

Just get an amp with speaker level inputs. I have an Audiocontrol EQL for sale if you want.
I looked it up. Somewhat pricy, but it looks nice. Whats your price?

Also, i've always wanted to use an equalizer.. this one looks pretty neat.. So it does have the LOC on it, so i'd use that to hook my subs up, what about mids/highs later on. My stock ones sound nice.. but that's also with the crappy basic stock sub that comes in the car. Once I put some real base to it, the stock mids/highs wont even be heard, so i'll need to upgrade them. Would I be able to hook up mids/highs to the Audiocontrol EQL? Or another amp to it. I sound stupid right now, but I seriously don't know anything about LOC's or equializers at all. I've learned so much from these forums, the help on here is great! Really appreciate you guys.

I looked it up. Somewhat pricy, but it looks nice. Whats your price?
Also, i've always wanted to use an equalizer.. this one looks pretty neat.. So it does have the LOC on it, so i'd use that to hook my subs up, what about mids/highs later on. My stock ones sound nice.. but that's also with the crappy basic stock sub that comes in the car. Once I put some real base to it, the stock mids/highs wont even be heard, so i'll need to upgrade them. Would I be able to hook up mids/highs to the Audiocontrol EQL? Or another amp to it. I sound stupid right now, but I seriously don't know anything about LOC's or equializers at all. I've learned so much from these forums, the help on here is great! Really appreciate you guys.
yes the EQL does have speaker level inputs. i'm asking $150 shipped.

yes the EQL does have speaker level inputs. i'm asking $150 shipped.
So can it be used as a crossover? Or would I need a crossover as well? If it's still avaliable when I get my income tax/money for school i'll take it. Theres a local shop around who seems to know what they're doing. Im just too scared to get into my factory stuff. Looking into DAD Right now. I had my mind set on 2 VFL 8's for my old car, because lack of trunk space, but I totaled it.. Sooo, new vehicle with a lot of space.. Just need to decide if I want 4 8's 2 12's or what to do.. So hard to make up my mind.

So can it be used as a crossover? Or would I need a crossover as well? If it's still avaliable when I get my income tax/money for school i'll take it. Theres a local shop around who seems to know what they're doing. Im just too scared to get into my factory stuff. Looking into DAD Right now. I had my mind set on 2 VFL 8's for my old car, because lack of trunk space, but I totaled it.. Sooo, new vehicle with a lot of space.. Just need to decide if I want 4 8's 2 12's or what to do.. So hard to make up my mind.
it is just a graphic EQ, no crossover. 2 channels in, 2 channels out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.