please give me your honest opinion on this box

RoYALbLUE08
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
NYC
So this box has the EXACT dimensions i have to work with in my car, 23 inches wide, 16 inches high and 16 inches deep. its made for the JL W7 so it has extra support up front. i have no clue what the tuning of this box is it doesnt say and has no port dimensions

Ground Shaker W7P 1 12 12" Ported JL W7 Pro Subwoofer Enclosure

thats the box and i according to these calculations it says it has 2.61596 in the12volt box calculator

you guys think this would be good for a 12 inch SSA XCON?

thats hard to say with sub displacement.... I'd just get a box made ny has alot of good box builders....

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

but it will get the job done no doubt but if you want it the best it can be get a box made.....

thats hard to say with sub displacement.... I'd just get a box made ny has alot of good box builders.... 

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

but it will get the job done no doubt but if you want it the best it can be get a box made.....
you know of anyone? anyone on the forums maybe?

Port looks skinny. 

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

Box may be a wee small.
I know there was a bunch make a thread need a box builder in ny, my dude was http://www.caraudio.com/forums/member.php?u=19847

I am getting Insane price quotes from the local shops here in Westchester, NY area. im getting quoted between 250-600 bucks for my ******* box for the XCON...

i called up one shop and said im just trying to get a quote 28x14x14 i said one shop is quoting me like 400 for it he said you might as well go there 400 bucks wont even get me into the woodshop... im like WTF!!

this really blows

Shops are gonna kill you on pricing. Find an independent builder. If I was to do that same enclosure around here it would start around $160, and adjust depending on if the buyer had any particular requests (kerfing, paint, particular carpet/wrap, logo, etc).

Honestly, if you ever plan on getting a different subwoofer (at any point),hit up a pawn shop and get some tools. It would cost you about what a good local builder should do a box for, but you'll have the satisfaction if doing it yourself, and have the tools for other projects in the future.

Another thing, it would be a total shame to put that XCON in anything that's not designed with it in mind. You would just be defeating the purpose of getting something of that caliber, should've just got some Kickers or something if you want to throw them in a prefab.

For that price get buck to design u one, and buy the tools. Then build it urself. U learn something from it and it's much more gratifying in the end.
i cant i have no time to build myself right now. im studying for my dental school admission test right now and its gonna take 3 months to study for. so far i paid 50 bucks for the design/calculations he said its 28 by 14 by 14 at 28 hertz, he went inside of my car to measure from window to window divided by the speed of sound or whatever

Shops are gonna kill you on pricing. Find an independent builder. If I was to do that same enclosure around here it would start around $160, and adjust depending on if the buyer had any particular requests (kerfing, paint, particular carpet/wrap, logo, etc).
Honestly, if you ever plan on getting a different subwoofer (at any point),hit up a pawn shop and get some tools. It would cost you about what a good local builder should do a box for, but you'll have the satisfaction if doing it yourself, and have the tools for other projects in the future.

Another thing, it would be a total shame to put that XCON in anything that's not designed with it in mind. You would just be defeating the purpose of getting something of that caliber, should've just got some Kickers or something if you want to throw them in a prefab.
i had 2 alpine type r's with the black cones that i just sold lol... im not gonna throw the XCON in a pre fab box i was just saying if this could be a temporary box for like 2-3 months till i get someone to build me a box built for it.

plus its not just them "building a box", they are going to build the box, make like a front faced panel, raising it off the floor, rounded edges, etc.

the guy at the shop took all of the specifications for the Xcon sub and hes gonna come up with a design and email me pics by next week. they definaltey know what they are doing, 28 hertz tuning for the xcon should be good no?

I know someone in BX that I just had one built with up by 240 and white plains rd. PM me if you need. Prices are fair and turn around time is great. And he guarantees his work.

I am getting Insane price quotes from the local shops here in Westchester, NY area. im getting quoted between 250-600 bucks for my ******* box for the XCON...
i called up one shop and said im just trying to get a quote 28x14x14 i said one shop is quoting me like 400 for it he said you might as well go there 400 bucks wont even get me into the woodshop... im like WTF!!

this really blows
Either buy prefabs, or build your own man. I got a quote for a box for 2 8" subs from a local shop for $ 600.00. I tried 3 different people/companies recommended to me here, and after answering all their questions, I got the same thing, there are people ahead of you. Well, no *****. This may sound nuts, but in all my years as an operations manager and sole proprietorship, I used this marvelous invention known as a calender. I could always look to the right and find a day on it where I would be finished with current customers work, and be able to move on to the next customers job. If I find myself having to chase down someone to give them my business, I can only imagine how things will go once they have my money.

So, to sum it up:

A- Bite the bullet and hire the locals.

B- Buy prefabs and make do

C- Build your own boxes

So long as you print off a plan and cut sheet, other options may be a local woodworking shop, a cabinet shop, or even riding up on a construction site and finding a cabinet, trim, or framing guy if they will build it on the side.

So long as you print off a plan and cut sheet, other options may be a local woodworking shop, a cabinet shop, or even riding up on a construction site and finding a cabinet, trim, or framing guy if they will build it on the side.
i wish i can build my own box, only tool missing would be a router which isnt that expensive to buy. i just dont have the time to do it now i study about 8-10 hours a day for dental school... gonna wait till early next week to see thier price quote. if they say 350-400 ill do it with them cuz they are gonna fix up my floor and build a wall covering the sides too making it look nice and OEM in the trunk. i will ask if they do payments/finance as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.