Alternative to JL c5's?

clueless

Atlanta
So I have a 02 Gs300. Was originally looking at the jl c5s. But after a little more research and reading around, some people are saying that there are some great alternatives to the c5s that cost less. Any brand is welcome just trying to get a good idea here. Im looking for sound quality and 6.5 speakers

those jbl's are nice!!!! cdt, pioneer premiers(force four), it really all depends on budget and if you buy ued or new.. those jbl's are bad azz for the money!!!

I have both of these and like them both as well as the JL or better. I personally prefer the P660's . The MS62's are power hungry.
Amazon.com: JBL MS-62C 6.5" 2-Way Component Speaker System: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: P660C 6 1/2"" (160mm) 2-way component system: Electronics
Which of those two are better in your eyes, not considering the the power hungry statement

those jbl's are nice!!!! cdt, pioneer premiers(force four), it really all depends on budget and if you buy ued or new.. those jbl's are bad azz for the money!!!
Will definitely check those out. It wud save me about $220 over the c5's. Any other worthy suggestions?

[quote name='clueless']Will definitely check those out. It wud save me about $220 over the c5's. Any other worthy suggestions?[/QUOTE]

i don't run alot of sets usually build my own set, love the crescendo mids, I prefer the silk tweets... so on... watch for pioneers premiers there are some on here, they are awesome, (now called force4) used about 150 - 200 maybe a little more but new are outrageous got mine on here for 150.... @neo_styles; he knows more ...

Comes down to your sound goals and personal preferences. I know people tend to get detracted from the fact that the MS comps use a titanium dome, but they're some of the butteriest damn metal domes that I've ever come across. In terms of midrange clarity and accuracy, it's a phenomenal set. However, if you're in greater pursuit of midbass punch and dynamics, you'll want to either look at the P660C or explore alternatives. Unfortunately, the MS don't have a huge amount of midbass presence and instead trade off for a more neutral response throughout the range. Honestly, the P660C is more characteristic of JBL's traditional sound signature of live, in-your-face viscerality and the MS is its more refined, softer-spoken counterpart. As far as comparing both to the C5, I think the MS would be a closer match.

That being said, don't discount the alternatives. The Image Dynamics CXS and PHD FB 6.1 Kit sets are both phenomenal and would give the C5 a good run for its money. Both go for about $300 a set.

Nice explanation however im a newb at all this car audio stuff. My initial set up was going to be an alpine IVE-530, jl c5s in the doors, and two jl 10w3v3s in a sealed box. But have read that there are better 6.5s out there for the $

Nice explanation however im a newb at all this car audio stuff. My initial set up was going to be an alpine IVE-530, jl c5s in the doors, and two jl 10w3v3s in a sealed box. But have read that there are better 6.5s out there for the $
It's true that some of us have found components that go for less than the C5 that (to our ears) are better. One thing you would do yourself well to learn in this hobby (and EARLY ON) is that it's an exercise in futility when you start looking at the "better than" game. It sounds to me like you asked around and people told you JL was the way to go and there's nothing wrong with that. Is JL a little on the pricey side? You bet. Doesn't mean you don't always get what you pay for, though, and the C5 isn't a bad set at all...so long as they get the attention to install quality that they need. Just slap them on doors in stock locations and I'm pretty sure you're going to end up massively underwhelmed by them. Take some time to go through the forum and read up on treating (deadening) your doors and you'll do yourself a world of good.

Both the MS and P660C are great component sets for the money, but there's a reason you don't see comparisons between them and the JLs and it's not because one's better than the other. Aside from the fact they're both components, it's complete apples vs oranges. Best thing you can do for yourself is audition as many speakers sets as you can before you make a purchase. Get an idea for what you do and what you don't like.

Also, those W3s sealed may leave you underwhelmed. I would say you could find one of the right 12" sub, put it in a properly-designed ported enclosure, and still take up the same volume as the two 10s would. Something like the Dayton HO, for instance (GIYF).

I'm running the tantric comps right now, they are great. I'm a huge Jl fan loved my c2 comps, I guess it comes down to cost. My local authorized Jl dealer sells for way less than retail making the Jl stuff very affordable.

There have been a lot of good suggestions for you to consider. The JBL MS62c has a decent sized tread over on DIYMA discussing them.

As another alternative to all of the sets mentioned, look at these

GZUC 650SQ

I have posted a link to a review in progress in our sub forum. If they interest you, let me know.

Your install is a huge factor on the way your system sounds. Take time to deaden your panels a bit and you'll really be happy.

Thanks guys. I am a newb but not completely unaware. I do realize that dynamat goes a long way. I have a friend who has the c5's and it sounded **** good. It was a general place to start and I saw that they were highly bragged about so thats where the initial thought came from. Im taking my time on this install making sure I have all the right pieces before I move ahead on this

I normally think that there is no free lunch IMHO. Sometimes I see C5 comps for like $300 online, so they're not that expensive, but once you look at speakers that cost like $200 or less, there are a lot really crappy ones among then. If you want to make more or less a lateral move, consider some of these:

Image Dynamics XS

Focal Polyglass (various)

Hybrid Audio Unity

Hybrid Audio Imagine (nearly the same thing as Unity with inferior passive crossover, but works just as well active)

One important thing is that if you move to any of these speakers, you can unleash quite a bit of sound quality by switching to active crossovers. (this means having an active capable head unit or external DSP). If you want to save a bit of cash for DSP, it could make sense to go with cheaper speakers though. For example, JBL MS speakers sometimes go for like $200. A JBL MS set will probably sound better when combined with an active head unit like Pioneer DEH-80PRS compared to a more expensive speaker without DSP.

I normally think that there is no free lunch IMHO. Sometimes I see C5 comps for like $300 online, so they're not that expensive, but once you look at speakers that cost like $200 or less, there are a lot really crappy ones among then. If you want to make more or less a lateral move, consider some of these:
Image Dynamics XS

Focal Polyglass (various)

Hybrid Audio Unity

Hybrid Audio Imagine (nearly the same thing as Unity with inferior passive crossover, but works just as well active)

One important thing is that if you move to any of these speakers, you can unleash quite a bit of sound quality by switching to active crossovers. (this means having an active capable head unit or external DSP). If you want to save a bit of cash for DSP, it could make sense to go with cheaper speakers though. For example, JBL MS speakers sometimes go for like $200. A JBL MS set will probably sound better when combined with an active head unit like Pioneer DEH-80PRS compared to a more expensive speaker without DSP.
Aware on what DSP stands for

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.