Setup amplifier with HU sub-level maxed or 0?

ckunke002
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
If one had the desire to turn up and down their sub, of course 0 or something lower than max would be the way to go. However, doesn't it make sense to utilize the higher volt preouts capabilities on higher end HU's by turning up sub level when setting gains? Especially when the HU includes a multi-band EQ on top of sub level adjustment so minor adjustments could still be made later. Just something I've been thinking about. Thanks!

For example, a -8 to +8 level scale.

I'd set the gains with sub level CLOSE to max, but not AT max.

I always come across that weird recording that needs some boost in the lows to sound right. A little extra sub volume would be a convenient way to cover it.

i have mine set at 6, max is 5, amp gain is almost half and bass knob is 0 unless i want to thump or listening to radio i need to raide the bass knob a little

I was just dealing with this today. I have a Kenwood 997 & couldn't get 41 volt for nothing. Then i thought of the sub fade and turned it up to max. Then BAMM 70 volts with gains at max so i backed it down to the 41 that i needed. But and here is the wierd part im unable to get the mid/high amp to get voltage up. Not sure whats going on but was only able to get 3 volts at max gain but at half its loud at my 3/4 max HU volume. So im still messing with that but if u end up not getting enough volts then your gonna have to up your sub level

Yeah just wondering myself. Plan on setting gains tomorrow for my brother on a JL amp and he has a knob. Do I disconnect the knob or turn it all the way up? Do I turn the HU settings to around 3/4 as well. What's the procedure that is best?

Yeah just wondering myself. Plan on setting gains tomorrow for my brother on a JL amp and he has a knob. Do I disconnect the knob or turn it all the way up? Do I turn the HU settings to around 3/4 as well. What's the procedure that is best?
Well aside from my question, generally with a knob if you want to have equal gain/negative control then you should set your gains with the knob in and in the middle. HU right around 3/4... this thread was made because i just realized that there's reason that i can see to not turn up sublevel on HU to get strongest signal possible and keep the amp down lower

Well aside from my question, generally with a knob if you want to have equal gain/negative control then you should set your gains with the knob in and in the middle. HU right around 3/4... this thread was made because i just realized that there's reason that i can see to not turn up sublevel on HU to get strongest signal possible and keep the amp down lower
Hey sorry I didn't mean to derail your thread, I'm still new and learning and the replys to your post led to my question about gain setting with a remote knob. Still learning man, sorry again.

Yes you want to keep it completely up while setting, this is because that feature attenuates the signal only when turned lower so theres no point in setting with it down, your just throwing away extra swing in that setting

Hey sorry I didn't mean to derail your thread, I'm still new and learning and the replys to your post led to my question about gain setting with a remote knob. Still learning man, sorry again.
Oh you misunderstood my reply lol i didn't mean it like that at all. Your question was warranted, it's all the same type stuff! I just meant that aside from my topic question I have a general idea of how gain setting should be done with gain knobs because i've had them before

Yes you want to keep it completely up while setting, this is because that feature attenuates the signal only when turned lower so theres no point in setting with it down, your just throwing away extra swing in that setting
Could you elaborate a little on this? There is still the factor of not being able to EQ the sub to raise it up at lower listening levels, if you set it with it maxed out

Im not sure i follow but its quite simple. If you set Your gains with the sub level on your headunit you will have no adverse effects because it simply attenuates when you turn it down. What you do gain however is the ability to use that sub level all the way down to its lowest setting and up to its highest setting (without fear of clipping). this gives you the adjustabilty you need to blend your sub as you wish. EQs are not designed to boost your sub level, they are made to flatten out the frequency response of your overall system

I see what you mean now. but you dont want the ability to drive it past what its at when you set your gains. You'll end up clipping the output signal of from your amp

I see what you mean now. but you dont want the ability to drive it past what its at when you set your gains. You'll end up clipping the output signal of from your amp
I see where you're coming from, my stance on it however is paying attention to what you're doing, and of course not to crank it up too far when you're HU's overall volume is high (causing clipping/overpowering whatever).

For example, if I set my amp up with my HU's sub level in the middle of the road, I have a lot to work with in terms of EQing everything. Just as long as I don't get stupid with it and crank it way up while playing my HU near the top of it's volume range.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Im not sure i follow but its quite simple. If you set Your gains with the sub level on your headunit you will have no adverse effects because it simply attenuates when you turn it down. What you do gain however is the ability to use that sub level all the way down to its lowest setting and up to its highest setting (without fear of clipping). this gives you the adjustabilty you need to blend your sub as you wish. EQs are not designed to boost your sub level, they are made to flatten out the frequency response of your overall system
But yeah I guess in a lot of ways that method makes the most sense

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.