Are more expensive 3.5mm cables worth it?

sjv13
10+ year member

StayStrange
I normally use my iPod with a USB cable for my music. But I would like to use my phone (which has premium Spotify 320kbps songs) as a secondary if there is a song I want to play that I dont have in Spotify on my iPod. I was wondering if it's worth getting a nice 3.5mm male to male cable, or if I should get a cheap one. Is there much of a difference?

Thanks!

The cheap cables have less protection, meaning repeated bending at the connectors will cause the wire to break internally. This is the only reason I have ever come across as justification for spending a bit more money. However, you can get a nice 3.5 mm stereo aux cable on Monoprice.com for under $5.

In my experience you dont want the cheapest cables but no need to spend 30 on one either. Look at a local music store or electronics shop and look for one with a good strain relief and a little heavier construction.

lol, the cheap ones will send the same signal the higher priced ones will.. Only diff is the name, and maybe the jacket feels thicker...No need to spend more then $5-10 on any set

ok. I shall return it tomorrow. It does look nice though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

[quote name='sjv13']@tommydh; @trumpet; I bought a nice looking 3' Monster cable at Best Buy for $20. Sounds alright.[/QUOTE]

I have that cable. I only ought it cuz I was tired of buying a new cheap one repeatedly, it's good quality, and a lifetime replacement warranty if it breaks....that's always a plus

pretty much what everyone has said dont get the cheapest but no need to spend a lot of money. The only problem Ive ever had is that after a year or two the cord breaks down.. like if it swivles in the connection their is alot of static not really sure how to expain it but I would go for one with gold ends and a nice thick jacket on it just for durability. I bought a 39 cent one once and used it in my HT set up... it had noise... but then again it was 39 cents.. I would also advise against monster take that **** back! If youre buying anything from best buy that isnt an appliance or T.V. youre spending too much

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.