I joined this site to ask this question...

I am upgrading my subs from two 10" alpine to two 15" subs, not sure what kind yet..however I cannot be persuaded to a certain brand so save your breath. The only advice I am asking you people maybe laughable to the versed car audio individual....but here goes. I drive a custom car. The trunk is almost completely fiberglass (major structures and mechanics aside) and I don't want to encourage my trunk walls to flex, bend, alter, warp, or MOVE. BUT, the trunk is not sealed...In the front seat of my car I can look and see the very back of the trunk. Would it make sense for me to buy a sealed box or a vented box? (keeping the request of having minimal flex in my trunk walls in mind) My dim witted logic tells me that a vented box pushes more air around and would encourage the fiberglass trunk structure to move around more. BUT, because the trunk isn't sealed would the air pressure dissipate to the rest of the chamber/cabin of my vehicle and not be an issue? Should I dynamat and get the subs in a sealed box? I need your 5 cents here, folks. I don't want my fiberglass trunk walls to move..sealed or vented?

No matter what you do, even with an open trunk, it will still pressurize, your best answer would probably be a trunk wall, the subs would seal off into the cabin behind the rear seats and minimize pressure buildup in the trunk itself.

Ported or not depends mainly on space/design constrictions, most cars wouldn't be able to fit the ~8 Cubes a pair of ported 15's would need to breathe properly.

I do have the abililty to seal the trunk area if I want, but wouldnt that make more pressure (smaller space)? So you are recommending a sealed box with a sealed trunk?
I'm assuming behind the back seats you have a large hole? if so, this is what I mean.

DSCN1381.jpg

The box is port and subs firing forward, into the cabin, completely sealed off from the trunk itself.

I have two sealed 15 inch radio shack pieces of junk on 300 watts rms in the trunk of my car and there is FLEX.

I'm assuming behind the back seats you have a large hole? if so, this is what I mean.
DSCN1381.jpg

The box is port and subs firing forward, into the cabin, completely sealed off from the trunk itself.
^^that^^

seriously people?

op, fiberglass is used in the construction of subwoofer enclosures fairly often. It's very stiff stuff unless it's a large flat panel, but even then you can stand on a quarter inch thick piece, lol... If it's strong enough to be part of a vehicle, then it will hold up fine to a system.

seriously people?
op, fiberglass is used in the construction of subwoofer enclosures fairly often. It's very stiff stuff unless it's a large flat panel, but even then you can stand on a quarter inch thick piece, lol... If it's strong enough to be part of a vehicle, then it will hold up fine to a system.
I wouldn't want constant flex on fiberglass, if it's anything like a boat hull, it may be very stiff, but fiberglass is very prone to stress cracks.

I wouldn't want constant flex on fiberglass, if it's anything like a boat hull, it may be very stiff, but fiberglass is very prone to stress cracks.
fiberglass car body panels are thicker than boat hulls. They are also smaller, which increases the resistance to vibration caused by sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.