High output alternator

phang002

Hi guys,

I just joined the forum and there is a lot of good information on here. My limited knowledge of car audio has gone up 100%. I have a 2001 Ford F150 V8 that I will be starting a build on. I've read through the big 3 and will be doing that upgrade. But my main question is about the alternator. I will be upgrading the alternator on this truck and have looked online for a high output alternator. I see dc power is a good choice and also Ohio gen. I was wondering if anyone has an experience with PowerBastards. They are selling a 220 amp alt for $339. If no one has had any experience with these guys I will go ahead and purchase the dc power alt. I just would prefer to spend 339 then $589. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi guys,
I just joined the forum and there is a lot of good information on here. My limited knowledge of car audio has gone up 100%. I have a 2001 Ford F150 V8 that I will be starting a build on. I've read through the big 3 and will be doing that upgrade. But my main question is about the alternator. I will be upgrading the alternator on this truck and have looked online for a high output alternator. I see dc power is a good choice and also Ohio gen. I was wondering if anyone has an experience with PowerBastards. They are selling a 220 amp alt for $339. If no one has had any experience with these guys I will go ahead and purchase the dc power alt. I just would prefer to spend 339 then $589. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
From personal experience I can vouch for the quality of Excessive Amperage(at least the one I bought 4yrs ago)...good stuff. I am curious about powerbastards though. 220 @ 1200 rpm and 110 @ idle is not too bad, but I am curious about dependability.

Hi guys,
The Power bastards unit is a small case unit, and has very limited cooling, and stock style rectifier with small diodes. It will have very weak output at actual idle speed, and will fail in short order. How they can say they are made in the USA, is beyond me, because I have piles of them here, and they appear to be exactly the same as the "high output" alternators we can order complete from China for less than $100.

If you are looking for a bargain, we have 250 amp, 6 phase units on sale for $349. They make increadible output at idle, even as low as 500 engine RPM. By 800 RPM, they make about 200 amps. This is because they are (1) a larger housing, and (2) utilize 6 phase technology. This also makes them more efficient, and less prone to belt slip, which is an issue on V8 Fords of that Era due to the limited belt wrap on the alternator. Also, out units have a finely finned heat sink on the back, and 16 diodes (PB unit only has 6) to handle the power and heat for 100,000+ miles.

Sometimes out units are more expensive than others because the components cost more, but in this case it is a no brainer. If you want to get one on the way, just shoot me an e-mail, I have them in stock. I also have even larger units available, but belt slip can be an issue if you go over 250 amp on that motor.

mlogan@mechman.com

8318300.png

ExtReg340aREAR.jpg

The Power bastards unit is a small case unit, and has very limited cooling, and stock style rectifier with small diodes. It will have very weak output at actual idle speed, and will fail in short order. How they can say they are made in the USA, is beyond me, because I have piles of them here, and they appear to be exactly the same as the "high output" alternators we can order complete from China for less than $100.
If you are looking for a bargain, we have 250 amp, 6 phase units on sale for $349. They make increadible output at idle, even as low as 500 engine RPM. By 800 RPM, they make about 200 amps. This is because they are (1) a larger housing, and (2) utilize 6 phase technology. This also makes them more efficient, and less prone to belt slip, which is an issue on V8 Fords of that Era due to the limited belt wrap on the alternator. Also, out units have a finely finned heat sink on the back, and 16 diodes (PB unit only has 6) to handle the power and heat for 100,000+ miles.

Sometimes out units are more expensive than others because the components cost more, but in this case it is a no brainer. If you want to get one on the way, just shoot me an e-mail, I have them in stock. I also have even larger units available, but belt slip can be an issue if you go over 250 amp on that motor.

mlogan@mechman.com

So there is no way around belt slip with an alt over 250amps? I have your number and will be giving you a call soon. But now if the belt slipping is going to be an issue then I have to figure out a way around it. I don't want to get a alt at 250 and find out later on down the line that I need more. The will be running a us amp 400 and probably a ppi a400.2 going to the subs and components. I will also be running 2 xs batteries total. This might be overkill on my part but this is my first real build and I want to make sure that I have enough juice if I want to go with more power. Will that 250 alt be enough or will i need to go bigger?

I just installed my DC Power 270XP yesterday, and though I can't tell you what kind of amperage it's throwing out, I can tell you it rests at 14.8V, and build quality is fantastic. I have not noticed belt slip, and I am not getting a battery light on my dash. The price was tough to swallow though.

My mechman is great. I actually sit almost a full volt higher than the stocker.

And to the OP there is always a workaround for belt slip. Whether it be another bogey idler wheel or what, there is always a way to get more wrap.

Not checking to see about your vehicle, but for mine, my Ohio Gen is OEM replacement and does 240 at engine idle. Does right at 300 on a decent cruising rev. Well worth their money, I would vouch for them and their customer service any day.

I just installed my DC Power 270XP yesterday, and though I can't tell you what kind of amperage it's throwing out, I can tell you it rests at 14.8V, and build quality is fantastic. I have not noticed belt slip, and I am not getting a battery light on my dash. The price was tough to swallow though.
What vehicle do you have?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.